Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > General Area > General PC

Old Mar. 23, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Davin_Nightwind
The Resident ZP Furry!
Hero

Location: Roaming the fields of Avalon. Wait...what do you mean it's all in my head?
Send a message via AIM to Davin_Nightwind Send a message via MSN to Davin_Nightwind Send a message via Yahoo to Davin_Nightwind
Default Motherboard recomendations

Alright, so I'm needing a new mobo for my desktop, since the old one decided to fry itself. All the other components in the system are just fine, so yeah...XD

Anyway, I'm looking for something Micro ATX with a LGA 1156 socket (for an Intel i7 870), the capability for at least 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM (At least 4 slots, DIMM 240 pin, at least 1333), and at least 4 SATA ports (Two for the hotswap bays on the front of my case). I'd say at least 2 PCI 2.0 x16 slots, but I know those are nearly impossible to find on a micro ATX board.

Really, I'm just after some suggestions on a decent mobo. I've been looking at the Intel and EVGA offerings, but the pickings are rather slim on Newegg and TigerDirect.
Old Mar. 24, 2012, 05:11 AM   #2
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Default Re: Motherboard recomendations

Honestly, I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find that matches those specifications. Motherboards are not the most important component, as far as performance is concerned. Try Amazon - they sometimes have some good deals on components.

/\Punisher makes awesome banners./\
symuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 24, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Davin_Nightwind
The Resident ZP Furry!
Hero

Location: Roaming the fields of Avalon. Wait...what do you mean it's all in my head?
Send a message via AIM to Davin_Nightwind Send a message via MSN to Davin_Nightwind Send a message via Yahoo to Davin_Nightwind

Yeah, but at the same time, I don't want a mobo that'll die in a week or two...That's the risk you run with the lower end boards...Half the time, they die quickly, half the time, they last for years.

Hell, I'm surprised an OEM board lasted this long

Would probably be a lot easier to find a board if I just sprung for a new i7 with one of the newer sockets then the 1156, but...Why bother? The processor I have is just fine. That, and while I can afford to buy a new mobo, I can't really afford to drop 400 bucks on a new processor to go with it XD

Last edited by Davin_Nightwind; Mar. 24, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Davin_Nightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 30, 2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

Asrock is a good brand imo, good quality vs price. I'd look there first. Don't do Intel, they're expensive.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 3, 2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Davin_Nightwind
The Resident ZP Furry!
Hero

Yeah, I've noticed that X3 I've managed to find a decent Asus one, but I'm still waiting for the money to come in to get it. I'm actually starting to wonder if there's some way to just fix the mobo so I don't have to get another one...

Last edited by Davin_Nightwind; Apr. 3, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Davin_Nightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 3, 2012, 01:06 PM   #6
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

I just saw this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...s-motherboards

I haven't read it in detail, but you might find it helpful. RPS usually know what they're talking about.

/\Punisher makes awesome banners./\
symuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 3, 2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Poe the Great
Shit in a silk stocking
Elite Triforce Legend

Send a message via MSN to Poe the Great

yo momma board
Poe phrased his law thusly: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article."
Poe the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 3, 2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Dynomite40
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

JAMMED
Old Jan. 26, 2013, 02:32 PM   #9
SlipAnc
keep it rolling..
Peasant

Location: south part of alll is where i live? did you know that? well now you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe the Great View Post
yo momma board
lol that's a nice one there.
Old Jul. 8, 2013, 04:30 AM   #10
LudwigRhys
Banned
Peasant

You need to mention Linux somewhere in your comparison. Some PCs are even sold with Linux pre-installed.
LudwigRhys is offline   Reply With Quote