Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > Fan Works > Fan Art & Games

Old Aug. 31, 2009, 11:59 PM   #1
TheGeminiSage
Squire

Default I offer you my fanart. SHOW NO MERCY

Edit: Good grief, I thought spoiler tags hid stuff on this forum! My mistake, my mistake. Images deleted, you'll have to work with links instead. Sorry!

Is it in poor form to post your own work as one of your first few posts? If it is, I'm sorry! I didn't know! It wasn't me! ...well, okay, it was. I'm going to get into the rest of it later, after I learn my navigation. This forum is uh...a little weird on navigation (actually, I probably just suck; I need a fairy or something, sheesh).

Feel free to pick me apart as you please; I've got a thick hide. Some of the pictures are from my Ocarina Project, which is redundant since an Ocarina novelization just got posted on the freakin' front page, but what are you gonna do. (I haven't read that, yet, by the way, because I'm afraid of being an unintentional ripoff. I'm just full of fail.)

Anyway, here we go. The images are under the spoiler tags, 'cause they're big. I mean they're a little on the huge side. (Lol. A little on the huge side. See, it's funny, because little and huge are...right.) Anyway, if you're on dial-up or something, you should probably not attempt to open them all at once. Yup, that'd be a bad idea. In fact, you could click the links to safely be transported to smaller DA (and a greater amount of Liz-chatter) versions for your viewing pleasure/safety.

SO:

First up: Link Portrait. Did this one awhile back when I was still in my love-hate affair with lines. He eyes are crooked because in the original sketch he had a badass look on his face, like, "whatcha lookin' at, punk" but it just didn't translate well. His face/ears are silly, but I'm pretty fond of that hair.

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/art/Link-128472311

The next picture is my favorite scene in OoT, when Ganondorf comes back to life, transforms into the pig-monster, knocks your sword out of your hands, traps you in a ring of fire, and proceeds to be very scary and epic. The Final Battle is a picture I learned a lot of new techniques in. Rimlighting is hella fun, guys, don't deny it (if you know what it is). If any of you have ever heard of DC's Broken Link tutorial (Google it!), I got a lot of stuff from there. I'm really proud of it 'cause it kind of conveys the sense of epicness I was going for here, and look - they're in the Triforce formation! (Well, I accidentally switched Link and Zelda, but don't tell anyone.)

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/...ttle-129090846

This one isn't as big, but it's going under a tag anyway: Dawn in Hyrule. Honestly, this was just for the Project, it didn't take but like an hour to do. (It still gets more attention than my legit work.) Photoshop works wonders with stuff like silhouettes and gradients, man.

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/...quot-133903647

Remember Zelda's dream in Ocarina? Well, I drew it. This is another Ocarina Project picture. The Dream took me a longer time to do, because the lighting was a *****, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/...quot-133346926

Next up is Link and Navi, from CH2 of the Project. Fairylight is always fun, and the atmosphere of this one turned out pretty good, I think. Unlike most people, I actually like Navi, so she comes up a lot.

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/...quot-134294001

And another Navi...

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/art/Navi-135490609

And finally, my most recent, just completed the other day: A Twilight Princess wallpaper! Not a photomanipulation, either, I DREW it. Oh, yeah.

It started out as an alternate costume for Zelda, but I realized she needed a background, so since she had a sword, TP style, I decided to attempt long shadows (mistake) and orange lighting (mistake) and light rays in the twilit sky (mistake). It was TOTALLY EASY (well...). I posted it at eight in the morning and then went to sleep. That afternoon I looked at again, became horrified, and fixed the thousands of glaring mistakes on it. Anyway, here it is!

http://thegeminisage.deviantart.com/...cess-135140976

And, uh...that's about it! Yup. hope you enjoy. If you don't...well, sorry. I'm still working on the whole lack of talent thing.
Figures out the second NES controller is not actually plugged in and I have never really played Zelda.
Age 10
Gets a used N64 pre-packaged with OoT and Mario 64 as a birthday gift. Plays one of the Zelda files, encounters redeads in Hyrule Castle Town for the first time.
Age 10-and-five-minutes
Handing the controller to someone else, anyone else.

Last edited by TheGeminiSage; Sep. 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: my own failure
TheGeminiSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 03:29 AM   #2
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

Default Re: I offer you my fanart. SHOW NO MERCY

You've got more talent than most of us. Don't take it for granted.
I like navi more as a tinkerbell fairy than a blob of light fairy. Maybe she's less annoying this way...
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 09:18 AM   #3
f
a.k.a. Fuzzy
Gold Legend

Actually, you DO have talent. Your composition is pretty good, as well as your coloring. I would say that, for the moment, you should work on adding values to your shading (i.e. darker and lighter shades) so that faces look more defined, like in your Link portrait. You certainly have a one up on me in the background area.

I look forward to more from you.

☆。・゜゜・。★゜・。。・゜☆。・゜゜★。・゜゜・。☆゜・。。・゜★
f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
TheGeminiSage
Squire

Aww you guys <333 You're sweethearts.

ifm: I really don't. I don't draw so well. I have anatomy errors all over the place and I've got no eye for the 3D form. That stuff is the type of inherent talent True Artists have. There's really nothing for that except practice, which I do a lot. I'm getting better, but still now quite there. I trick people into thinking my drawings are "good" with a few tricks - in other words, I cheat.

Firstly, I always use a ref. I draw digitally and can add layer upon layer of lines until the lineart looks just right. This goes more with the practice part.
Secondly, I ALWAYS add color. Layers help a lot with colors and blending, too. A pencil sketch alone will reveal who has the talent - eye for 3D form, shading, etc - and who doesn't. Nice colors cover up drawing mistakes.
Thirdly, Photoshop can edit your colors in seconds, turning brightly colored flats into a twilight setting with no effort at all. It can render shadows, clouds, and gradients for skies, and even put a light source on stuff (to some extent). Relying on these tricks alone would make for a very poor drawing, but using them as crutches in an otherwise mediocre drawing helps the final product along nicely.
Finally, I've gotten into the habit lately of always adding a background. It helps make the picture fuller, keep your eye going around the picture so you don't dwell as long on the mistakes.

also Navi is awesome as a Tinkerbell type fairy! I don't like her as a gameplay mechanic, but as a character I love her to death. Just can't help myself.

Raz: Thanks! I love bright colors, so sometimes my base color choices aren't that great. I don't have a lot of problems trying to see where light falls, but actually adding the shadows usually kills me - I'm not so good at that part. I do work much better with lines, though.

Backgrounds really aren't so hard. They seem intimidating, at first, but if you just DO it it's just another thing to practice on.
Figures out the second NES controller is not actually plugged in and I have never really played Zelda.
Age 10
Gets a used N64 pre-packaged with OoT and Mario 64 as a birthday gift. Plays one of the Zelda files, encounters redeads in Hyrule Castle Town for the first time.
Age 10-and-five-minutes
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Lord Evan
I don't know the month
Platinum Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Lord Evan Send a message via MSN to Lord Evan Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Evan

You make a very nice use of soft lines. You're definately way better than most people, and I can tell you have developed your own techniques, which is very good.

I think they are quite good.
Lord Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

Too much text, not enough Insert Image usage. I can't be expected to click on links in this Internet 2.0 universe
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
f
a.k.a. Fuzzy
Gold Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeminiSage View Post
Aww you guys <333 You're sweethearts.

ifm: I really don't. I don't draw so well. I have anatomy errors all over the place and I've got no eye for the 3D form. That stuff is the type of inherent talent True Artists have. There's really nothing for that except practice, which I do a lot. I'm getting better, but still now quite there. I trick people into thinking my drawings are "good" with a few tricks - in other words, I cheat.

Firstly, I always use a ref. I draw digitally and can add layer upon layer of lines until the lineart looks just right. This goes more with the practice part.
Secondly, I ALWAYS add color. Layers help a lot with colors and blending, too. A pencil sketch alone will reveal who has the talent - eye for 3D form, shading, etc - and who doesn't. Nice colors cover up drawing mistakes.
Thirdly, Photoshop can edit your colors in seconds, turning brightly colored flats into a twilight setting with no effort at all. It can render shadows, clouds, and gradients for skies, and even put a light source on stuff (to some extent). Relying on these tricks alone would make for a very poor drawing, but using them as crutches in an otherwise mediocre drawing helps the final product along nicely.
Finally, I've gotten into the habit lately of always adding a background. It helps make the picture fuller, keep your eye going around the picture so you don't dwell as long on the mistakes.

also Navi is awesome as a Tinkerbell type fairy! I don't like her as a gameplay mechanic, but as a character I love her to death. Just can't help myself.

Raz: Thanks! I love bright colors, so sometimes my base color choices aren't that great. I don't have a lot of problems trying to see where light falls, but actually adding the shadows usually kills me - I'm not so good at that part. I do work much better with lines, though.

Backgrounds really aren't so hard. They seem intimidating, at first, but if you just DO it it's just another thing to practice on.
The only real way to cheat drawing is to trace and claim it as your own, otherwise it's all techniques.

☆。・゜゜・。★゜・。。・゜☆。・゜゜★。・゜゜・。☆゜・。。・゜★
f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Kao

I really like that last one with Zelda in front of Hyrule Castle at sunset. The colors are really nice, and I like the shadows coming off the trees as well.
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
TheGeminiSage
Squire

Evan: Thank you so much! I love the softer look on pictures, so I'm glad it seems to work well.

King: Sorry! the images were much too big to put all into one post. My current avatar is a fair preview of my work, but I was trying to be nice to those with slow connections.

Raz: I guess that's true! Still, I don't feel like it's real skill so much as the skill to disguise my lack of skill XD

Kao: Thanks <3 I'm glad you like them because the shadows were a total ***** to do! (the one tree still won't render correctly. AUGH)
Age 10
Age 10-and-five-minutes
Old Sep. 1, 2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

Slow connections be damned, it's 2009. If they're slow it's their fault

Also may I add, after reading your blocks of text

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeminiSage View Post
(I haven't read that, yet, by the way, because I'm afraid of being an unintentional ripoff. I'm just full of fail.)
You shouldn't worry about ripping off fanfiction, which is a ripoff in and of itself. Especially fanfiction that is a retelling of a story that has already been told. It's like three layers of ripoff, so who cares?

And stop calling attention to your poor self esteem. Less words, more content. Post your fic in the writefag section if you want to see if it's a ripoff or not
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep. 2, 2009, 12:07 AM   #11
TheGeminiSage
Squire

oh, I figured that was a little redundant, what with all the ocarina stories floating around already. but sure, why not.

Here:

better?
Age 10
Age 10-and-five-minutes
Old Sep. 2, 2009, 03:28 AM   #12
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

Much better. It's slower to load DA with the picture than it is to see the picture embedded here. Mostly because DA's intertubes are clogged with cholesterol furry art.
Old Sep. 11, 2009, 10:59 PM   #13
TheBlueLink
Shinku Hadoken!
Peasant

Old Sep. 11, 2009, 10:59 PM   #14
TheBlueLink
Shinku Hadoken!
Peasant

http://joelenheimer.deviantart.com/a...aster-98292913