Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > ZeldaPower > Zelda Chat

Old Mar. 28, 2017, 07:26 AM   #121
Pirate
Sold in most pharmacies
Hero

Send a message via Skype™ to Pirate
Default Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild Switch Trailer 2017

I just didn't get the impression that the cutscene in the game was trying to present itself as a joke, nor that it tries to point out that the character in question is shown as excessively "weird" for not conforming.

That said, I was gonna make a cheap joke about Nintendo acting phobic towards people with osteoporosis since they included bokoblin arms in BotW, but that moment passed once it was pointed out that my simple duck-and-tiger analogy didn't take into account the history of violence against trans persons

But yeah, I'll go post my junk over in GC instead

Last edited by Pirate; Mar. 28, 2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: font changed for some reason
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 08:46 AM   #122
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to prooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-Gi View Post
Or

you know

you guys could stop overthinking it and realize that this fictional world wasn't written to have genders beyond male and female because 90% of the human race doesn't even believe in that. The belief that there are more then 2 genders is more of a thing in highly liberal western society. Let's be honest, if you brought this idea to some random Shepard out in rural Mongolia they'd probably laugh at the idea.

Like if you want to write a fantasy story where there's more then 2 genders then that's fine, but don't think that everyone else's fiction has to follow the same ideas, that's just the exact same mindset that westerners had when they colonized the new world. (They don't believe in our God? LOL what savages! Clearly we must make them believe our correct way of thinking!)

Can we like
stop trying to politicize this and talk about this fun video game for what it is instead of trying to turn it into something it isn't? Like seriously this sort of discussion is what's been ruining the gaming community as of late.
So the hill you choose to die on is that Japanese people are a homogenous culture too quaint and backwards to care about big, complicated western ideas and that trans people don't exist there
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 09:05 AM   #123
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

where does tingle fall in this discussion
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 09:09 AM   #124
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

i have no tingle hot takes

hes a pretty exaggerated gay stereotype i guess?
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 10:31 AM   #125
Pirate
Sold in most pharmacies
Hero

Send a message via Skype™ to Pirate

[some dumb shit about wolf link]
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 11:07 AM   #126
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

wolf link is tight
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 05:48 PM   #127
Ryu-Gi
Otaku with a Shotgun
Silver Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prooker View Post
So the hill you choose to die on is that Japanese people are a homogenous culture too quaint and backwards to care about big, complicated western ideas and that trans people don't exist there
This is actually exactly what I was talking about, you're assuming that the idea of extra-genders is something that is 'advanced' to begin with and that anyone who dosen't follow it is 'backwards'. This isn't about ideas having the high ground, this is about other people's ideas and the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs. I would hope that as 'advanced' as Western Society sees itself that we'd be open to the idea that what we think of as 'advanced' is just another idea in the grand scheme of beliefs that exist. The way western society thinks is not the end-all-be-all and we need to stop assuming that. It's the same thing as early colonists saying that Christianity is "advanced" while pagan religions are 'backwards'; neither is better or worse, they're all equal in the grand scheme of things.

I can assure you that noone writing that scene was thinking about extra-gender ideas when they made it. It's simply a crossdressing moment thrown in for fun and fanservice and there wasn't any intent beyond that, it's not because they're 'backwards', it's simply because they weren't thinking about it. You cannot fault them for not thinking about the same things that you are thinking.

If you want to discuss it further then move it to the SD discussion I posted in General Chat. I don't think this sort of discussion should be done here on this particular thread.

Last edited by Ryu-Gi; Mar. 28, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Ryu-Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 05:51 PM   #128
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

way ahead of you
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 05:54 PM   #129
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

also like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_...enderism#Japan

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/03/...public-office/

Trans people and Trans Advocacy exists everywhere, cultural relativism isn't a valid argument when it comes to this
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 06:00 PM   #130
Ryu-Gi
Otaku with a Shotgun
Silver Legend

Hey, I never said they didn't exist there. I'm saying that the writers weren't thinking about it. Once again, move it to the GC SD thread.

Old Mar. 28, 2017, 06:01 PM   #131
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

And the idea that anything challenging the gender binary is a recent Western invention is, itself, an ironically Western-centric analysis.

/\Punisher makes awesome banners./\
symuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 06:04 PM   #132
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-Gi View Post
I can assure you that noone writing that scene was thinking about extra-gender ideas when they made it. It's simply a crossdressing moment thrown in for fun and fanservice and there wasn't any intent beyond that, it's not because they're 'backwards', it's simply because they weren't thinking about it. You cannot fault them for not thinking about the same things that you are thinking.
you edited this in after i posted, but this is the basis of all literary and art criticism

and please don't tell me where I can or can't post on a forum you're not a mod of and hardly frequent
Old Mar. 28, 2017, 06:42 PM   #133
Ryu-Gi
Otaku with a Shotgun
Silver Legend

As I said in the Serious Discussion post, from now on I will either add "EDIT" to my post if I edit it, or will Double-Post from now on.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna leave this discussion and go beat up the smoky aporkalypse guy because this is a Zelda game and I enjoy that sort of thing.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #134
Ryu-Gi
Otaku with a Shotgun
Silver Legend

After beating all the main quests and all 120 shrines, I decided to finally go and beat the game.

Admittedly, the ending could have been a bit better. spoiler: Ganon was mostly a pushover, plus Link just stands there during the final cinematics like a brick wall while Zelda has her emotional moment re-uniting with the hero she came to care for 100 years ago. Like, a hug at the very least would have been nice. Link's been showing a lot more emotion in the past few games, a continuation of that would be nice. The field of Silent Princess flowers during the extended ending was a good touch but come on, Nintendo, we all know the relationship between Link and Zelda is super important, you can show them being a little less platonic. Like they don't have to be outright banging on top of Epona's back or something like something out of the Witcher series but seriously.

That being said, I still really enjoyed the game. The main focus of Breath of the Wild is the world; It's not just about discovering new things but the journey it takes to get there. In any other Open World game getting to a goal just feels like a checklist of things to do, but in BOTW, just going on the journey to do those things is a trip in itself. It really calls back to the origin of the series when Miyamoto was exploring the countryside as a child and discovered that cave; the thrill you get of the potential in what lies ahead.

I really hope that BOTW sets the standard for future Zeldas the way OOT did, and that Nintendo continues to improve upon that formula and making it better.

Skyward Sword, while polarizing, had a few steps in the right direction in terms of story, while BOTW set a new standard for the gameplay. The next Zelda game needs to take the best of those and combine them together into something truly special.

Also as someone who mostly plays PC games I'll admit that I really want there to be a Zelda that plays at at least 1080p and 60fps at some point. And maybe a step back to a more serious artstyle. Hyrule Warriors actually hit that perfect balance between stylized and serious and I would love to see it go that route. Something like the demo from E3 2011 would be awesome...

In the end I give BOTW a cool 4.85/5. Can't wait for the DLC later this year!

EDIT: Also more horseback combat stuff would be great. Those events were awesome in TP and there seriously needed to be more of them. I like how they added random travelers on the roads in BOTW but seeing something like a civilian caravan being attacked by bokoblins on horseback and being able to ride in and save the day would have been awesome.

Last edited by Ryu-Gi; Yesterday at 02:56 AM.