Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > ZeldaPower > General Chat

Old Nov. 8, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Exo
Epically Epic ツ
Hero

Lightbulb Star Wars episode 8?

I feel like we need a thread for this as we are getting closer to December when the new star wars makes it debut in cinemas! how exciting

I think the last time I went to the cinema was actually to go see episode 7 lol so if I go see this one in the cinema it will be 2 years later. Kind of crazy to think about that.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov. 10, 2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Colonel Caboose
This is ZP not Sparta!!!
Bronze Legend

Default Re: Star Wars episode 8?

I'm not too ecstatic for Ep. 8, I am a bit more wary about this one because all the trailers I have seen for it so far do not intrigue as much as the last two films. Rogue One I thought was far superior to Ep. 7 in my opinion. Ep. 7 played it too safe and was just a cut and paste of Ep. 4 it seemed, while Rogue One branched out and felt more dramatic.

Ep 8. may end up being amazing or as the previous episode did, play it safe. Which for a younger generation of fans will suffice and carry them on as did the prequels did when I was a youngling.
Colonel Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov. 11, 2017, 03:04 AM   #3
Exo
Epically Epic ツ
Hero

Yeah I am trying to avoid trailers now as I don't want too much spoiled. I think it will be good, tbh. Rogue one was decent for sure, but I did miss more light sabre action in that xD
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov. 13, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Acid Rain Delay
3 hearts are all you need
Bronze Legend

Did anyone say that Star Wars sucks yet in here? Oh good, it pleases me to be the first then... Star Wars suuuuuuuuccckkkkkkssss ew boo hiss lame
Old Dec. 6, 2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Darkmoonchild
ZP Phantom
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Darkmoonchild Send a message via MSN to Darkmoonchild Send a message via Yahoo to Darkmoonchild Send a message via Skype™ to Darkmoonchild

personally can't wait. Wanna see how they try to one up, the 5th (Middle) part of the original trilogy
Old Dec. 8, 2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Pretty excited, myself. Unlike some others on this forum I've really been enjoying the new Star Wars films. I've been avoiding trailers and the like so I can have MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT when I go see it next week.
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 14, 2017, 10:57 PM   #7
Pinflan_Jinglewit
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Pinflan_Jinglewit

I just got back from seeing it, and I liked it quite a lot. Definitely not an ESB retread or whatever. It's doing its own thing. There was some stuff in there that really surprised me.
Old Dec. 18, 2017, 01:31 AM   #8
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Glad you liked it, Pinflan!

I was surprisingly conflicted after my first viewing. I left the theater feeling actually kind of disappointed and depressed that the film hadn't lived up to my expectations and that some events had happened in the story that I wasn't happy with and couldn't be walked back or altered/fixed by future films.

BUT after watching it a second (and third!) time at a better theater, I actually found myself liking it a lot more. I really did.

Still, I'm left with 3 main gripes:

!!MAJOR SPOILERAGE!!

spoiler:
1) I understand that this isn't Luke's story anymore, and the baton is being passed to Rey, so it needs to be Rey who confronts Kylo and wins the day, but one still wishes that Luke had gotten to kick a little ass at least. The dodge-filled fakeout showdown between him and Kylo was cool, but even if he's not the one who's going to kill Kylo, at least let him do SOMETHING badass with his force powers before he goes out. Luke's death was poetic and zen, but didn't feel entirely fulfilling for a character who has been loved and admired since the 1970s. Wasn't in love with how negative and obstinate he was for nearly all of the film. Really wanted that hero back.

Bit of an aside, but I also feel like there was a tragic missed opportunity: when the camera looks out from the Jedi temple towards Luke's empty robe, they should have had the ghosts of Obi-wan, Yoda, and Anakin looking on (but we'd be seeing the backs of their heads so you wouldn't have to worry about a less-than-stellar CG version of Alec Guinness, etc).

2) Loved the twist with Snoke's sudden death, but so many questions are left that I don't see them answering in the 3rd movie (why go out of the way to give a back story on a guy who's dead?) Kind of bummed he just up and died without much (or any) of that coming to light.

3) There was just too much of the director/writer going out of his way to betray the audience's expectations. Time and time again, he'd set up a scene deliberately to evoke a previous film, and then turn it on its head just to play it against what the audience expects. Just felt like the director was too preoccupied with ribbing an audience that had complained about Force Awakens being a New Hope rehash.

All said, I did enjoy the film, and it did some stuff that was really unexpected and bold, but I nevertheless do have some gripes and would place it as my least favorite of the 3 new Star Wars films so far, although still miles ahead of the prequels.
Old Dec. 19, 2017, 12:48 AM   #9
Vertigo
What a mouthfull
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Vertigo

The movie wasn't as good as it could have been. It was better than TFA but thats not saying much.
Old Dec. 19, 2017, 03:17 AM   #10
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao View Post
Glad you liked it, Pinflan!

I was surprisingly conflicted after my first viewing. I left the theater feeling actually kind of disappointed and depressed that the film hadn't lived up to my expectations and that some events had happened in the story that I wasn't happy with and couldn't be walked back or altered/fixed by future films.

BUT after watching it a second (and third!) time at a better theater, I actually found myself liking it a lot more. I really did.

Still, I'm left with 3 main gripes:

!!MAJOR SPOILERAGE!!

spoiler:
1) I understand that this isn't Luke's story anymore, and the baton is being passed to Rey, so it needs to be Rey who confronts Kylo and wins the day, but one still wishes that Luke had gotten to kick a little ass at least. The dodge-filled fakeout showdown between him and Kylo was cool, but even if he's not the one who's going to kill Kylo, at least let him do SOMETHING badass with his force powers before he goes out. Luke's death was poetic and zen, but didn't feel entirely fulfilling for a character who has been loved and admired since the 1970s. Wasn't in love with how negative and obstinate he was for nearly all of the film. Really wanted that hero back.

Bit of an aside, but I also feel like there was a tragic missed opportunity: when the camera looks out from the Jedi temple towards Luke's empty robe, they should have had the ghosts of Obi-wan, Yoda, and Anakin looking on (but we'd be seeing the backs of their heads so you wouldn't have to worry about a less-than-stellar CG version of Alec Guinness, etc).

2) Loved the twist with Snoke's sudden death, but so many questions are left that I don't see them answering in the 3rd movie (why go out of the way to give a back story on a guy who's dead?) Kind of bummed he just up and died without much (or any) of that coming to light.

3) There was just too much of the director/writer going out of his way to betray the audience's expectations. Time and time again, he'd set up a scene deliberately to evoke a previous film, and then turn it on its head just to play it against what the audience expects. Just felt like the director was too preoccupied with ribbing an audience that had complained about Force Awakens being a New Hope rehash.

All said, I did enjoy the film, and it did some stuff that was really unexpected and bold, but I nevertheless do have some gripes and would place it as my least favorite of the 3 new Star Wars films so far, although still miles ahead of the prequels.
#2 was my biggest gripe by far. Lots of buildup with little payoff, and there was so much potential there the audience really looked forward to seeing hashed out.

I've also seen a lot of complaints about the humor in this one, but I loved the comic relief moments. Those little light-hearted moments always humanize the movies to me because not everything in life has to be serious.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 19, 2017, 06:32 PM   #11
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Yeah, there were a couple moments of slightly too much goofiness for my liking, but it wasn't too bad, really.

Mostly I couldn't stand the whole spoiler: escaping dog horse thing scene. Should have been about saving the kids from slavery or something instead of rescuing the CG dog horses. Really wasn't feeling any emotional investment in what happens to the CG animals.
Old Dec. 21, 2017, 04:41 AM   #12
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

I tried not to read too much into that, I think the whole situation was presented to show how the rebellion affects people and beings all over the galaxy, not just the little team of rebel fighters we're following. It gives the movement more meaning than was really emphasized in the original trilogy.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 21, 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
TK
On The Origins Of RoboMod
Platinum Triforce Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao View Post
Mostly I couldn't stand the whole spoiler: escaping dog horse thing scene. Should have been about saving the kids from slavery or something instead of rescuing the CG dog horses. Really wasn't feeling any emotional investment in what happens to the CG animals.
It's a nice thought, but spoiler: what would they do with the kids afterwards? with the CG dog horses, they could and did just release them into the wild - which in and of itself might be a temporary solution - but they couldn't do that with children. Were they supposed to take them on the ship that they were flying into a warzone - onto the enemy flagship? Were they supposed to pause their time-sensitive mission which they were already pushing up on the edge of to make a detour at a safe planet? How could rescuing the kids practically work in the story we had already been given?

Also, spoiler: I don't think you were supposed to have emotional investment in the animals' escape, per se. That was more about catharsis of seeing the weapons merchants' sins turned against them - your emotional investment was in watching everything they built get smashed via one of their own wrongdoings, rather than any love for dog horses.
Old Dec. 21, 2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Facelessman
Bronze Legend

Sometimes headcanon keeps us sane. For example:

spoiler: Chewie didn't take those stupid birds on the Millenium Falcon as pets. They're SNACKS.
Facelessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 21, 2017, 06:33 PM   #15
TK
On The Origins Of RoboMod
Platinum Triforce Legend

spoiler: chewie didn't take them as pets. they were an infestation, they nested on the ship while it was parked
Old Dec. 23, 2017, 07:34 PM   #16
f
a.k.a. Fuzzy
Gold Legend

I have mixed feeling about this movie, but overall I think I enjoyed it. It felt like there was a lot of time spent on certain things could have been of better spent elsewhere.

One of the things that's still bugging me is that spoiler: I don't care about Rey at all. Her character is so bland and there isn't anything to her that really draws me in. Like that whole... mirror scene was near, I guess, but ??? It didn't do anything for me (or her imo) It's cool seeing the hero's journey with a female character but I need something more from her character.

☆。・゜゜・。★゜・。。・゜☆。・゜゜★。・゜゜・。☆゜・。。・゜★
f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 28, 2017, 06:47 PM   #17
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

I just rewatched A New Hope and:

1) I saw a large, heavy star destroyer outrun and overtake a small, rebel blockade runner ship as well as the even smaller Millenium Falcon.

2) Observed Imperial forces detect small transports with ease

3) Saw the Death Star use tracking technology to track the Millenium Falcon through light speed, leading them to the rebel base, which was a major plot point in the movie.

I don't mind the science being wonky in Star Wars (that isn't and never was the point of the series), but I would hope for a little more consistency, especially since the inability to detect small transports, the supposed unprecedented technology of lightspeed tracking, and the heavy ships being unable to gain on smaller ships were all used as major plot points in The Last Jedi.

With each viewing, I enjoyed The Last Jedi more, but I can't shake the feeling that they REALLY blew the opportunity to tell more of an impactful story for most of the film.

While the Rey/Luke/Kylo/Snoke story did move forward in some really interesting (albeit at times controversial and frankly disappointing) ways, all of the supporting cast was left to spin their wheels on subplots built on contrivances clearly contradicted by the other films.
Old Dec. 29, 2017, 11:06 AM   #18
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

I liked it, spoiler: I do think it's sort of weird that theres like a good chunk of the film dedicated to dunking on how tfa handled plot, but that sequence is basically just a trojan horse for setting the stakes of the conflict (something it has to do because tfa didn't) and getting you to care about rose (which it does really well, kelly marie tran hit it out of the park imo) and I thought the scope of the betrayal was genuinely shocking, but it was weird how everybody just joked around with Poe at the end even though hes pretty much singularly responsible for killing all of their friends, and finn still doesnt really make sense to me

I fucking loved the Luke Rey Kylo Snoke stuff so much,
It was starwars at it's best and people who dont like it don't like starwars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe the Great View Post
On the Nightmare Network Our names are unknown and our faces are shadows drifting across an infinite blackness. Our voices have been stifled to a soft murmur in a madman's ear. We are the proud failures with only a single joy left to us to inflict rampant damage on those who have fed themselves on our

dreams and to choke ourselves on our own nightmares. In sum, we are expediters of the apocalypse. There is nothing left to save, if there ever was anything . . . if there ever could be.
freepooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 29, 2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Fireyo
Hero

It was bad and you should feel bad for liking it

Poe makes a your mom joke not 5 minutes into the film, it's like no one involved understands what Star Wars is half the time
Fireyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 29, 2017, 01:19 PM   #20
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

Since when has Starwars the movies that brought you jokes like "and I thought they smelled bad on the outside" and "I've got a bad feeling about this" been above your mom jokes?

Sounds like youre the one who doesnt understand the true meaning of Star War to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe the Great View Post
On the Nightmare Network Our names are unknown and our faces are shadows drifting across an infinite blackness. Our voices have been stifled to a soft murmur in a madman's ear. We are the proud failures with only a single joy left to us to inflict rampant damage on those who have fed themselves on our

dreams and to choke ourselves on our own nightmares. In sum, we are expediters of the apocalypse. There is nothing left to save, if there ever was anything . . . if there ever could be.

Last edited by freepooper; Dec. 29, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
freepooper is offline   Reply With Quote