Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > ZeldaPower > Gaming Chat

Old Dec. 8, 2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Default Mario Odyssey

Didn't expect to like this one a whole lot. Frankly, it looked a little weird, with it's untraditional art styles and characters (a day of the dead-themed desert level? A realistic-ish city with human NPCs?). Kind of made me thing of the oddball-ness of Mario Land on the Game Boy.

But holy dogs, is this game fun. It's basically Mario 64 meets 20 years of refinement. I mean, I wouldn't say it's as industry-changing as Mario 64 was, but hopefully that description at least gives you a baseline of what to expect. For the most part, you've got open arena-like spaces, like you did in Mario 64. Just a couple of island-hopping levels like in Mario Galaxy. Controls are very much akin to Mario 64 with years of refinement and tweaking.

Anyway, if you haven't played it yet, give it a shot for sure.
Kao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 9, 2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Default Re: Mario Odyssey

I really want to play it, and somehow I forgot that it was already out. Guess it's time to hand in my gamer card. Maybe it'll be a good one to play over Christmas.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 11, 2017, 09:24 AM   #3
DwaynePi
Peasant

I love Mario Odyssey. They really did a great job with the variety of fun game mechanics. Did anyone here collect all the moons?
DwaynePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 11, 2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Not yet, Dwayne! I'm working on it now, but there's a lot of them! A guy I work with has 999 moons :|
Kao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 11, 2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

ive got about 650 moons. it's pretty fun. i like the skeleton outfit

D - O - G - A - R - S
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 13, 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Darkmoonchild
ZP Phantom
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Darkmoonchild Send a message via MSN to Darkmoonchild Send a message via Yahoo to Darkmoonchild Send a message via Skype™ to Darkmoonchild

Def does feel like Mario 64 + 20 years
Old Mar. 15, 2018, 12:11 PM   #7
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

I really like how they designed the difficulty system. The game story can be beaten very easily, which was a source of a lot of criticism thrown at the game. However, the collectable moons have a wide range of difficulty individually, so as an open-world game you can choose your own path and difficulty by making the choice to take on more difficult challenges. The player is given the tools to challenge themselves and find their own fun rather than being locked into Nintendo's idea of what level of challenge constitutes the most fun.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 20, 2018, 03:53 PM   #8
TrainQuailTie
Banned
Peasant

Like Kao, I had my expectations.
I'm really impressed Nintendo managed to incorporate a co-op mode with a single-player mode for the same worlds, without having to make the two experiences feel too disconnected.
That said, one of my roomies bought a switch + odyssey the other day, and there's been quarrels already about who gets to play cappy next.
TrainQuailTie is offline   Reply With Quote