Old Mar. 15, 2017, 02:04 AM   #82
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to prooker
Default Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild Switch Trailer 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-Gi View Post
Have you decorated it with weapons displays yet? It works as a sort of storage system for your favorite weapons, pretty nifty if you find a weapon that you just like the look of, or for storing powerful weapons you want to save for a particular fight later on. You can only get a max of three for each weapon type, though.
I did, but honestly there's no point in saving weapons when they all break anyways (and it's bullshit that you can't store as many weapons as you want in there since its your fucking house), and you'll be able to find suitable level weapons in any area you're in without to much trouble.

I'm of two ways about the durability system: 1 it provides welcome difficulty, 2 it keeps you from feeling attached to your particular weapon, something i feel is actually pretty essential to every single zelda before, including the original. It also discourages me often from using the better weapons in my inventory because it feels like i'm always saving them for a tough enemy, so they kind of just sit there for a long, long while. It's a bummer. (Is there a difference in the level of enemy and how quick your item breaks or is it completely dependent on the durability of the weapon)

And why not just have a weapon repair system for all weapons at specialty shops in each village? It's a system already implemented for a specialty weapons! It seems like such a simple solution that i spent a good chunk of my first 10 hours keeping my badly damaged weapons because I assumed I would eventually run into one

I like this game, but I have... a lot of complaints.

Last edited by prooker; Mar. 15, 2017 at 02:38 AM.
prooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 15, 2017, 10:51 AM   #83
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

yeah now that ive beaten it the honeymoon phase is over and i feel more free to critically analyze the game

i will make a brief list

CONS

-No dungeons or dungeon bosses of any substance. These elements added a kind of unspoken mythology to prior Zelda games and their absence is a huge blow to a world that is otherwise an atmospheric masterpiece. Its really tragic that this game doesn't have these things, they keep this game from being a solid 10/10.

-Lack of enemy variety. There actually aren't a whole lot of enemy types in this game, and it shows. Granted, I really really like the enemies that are in the game, but I'll cover that in the Pros. I miss armos, and beamos, and like likes, and tektites, and yknow... the usual suspects

-Difficulty peters out after a while. There comes a certain point when things stop being hard. With three pages worth of full restore meals, a pocketful of fairies, AND spoiler: Mipha's Grace , you straight up literally cannot die. Any enemy's only hope of defeating you is to strand you in a wide pond and hope you run out of stamina 20 consecutive times

-Swimming sucks. Movement in this game is incredible, as I'll cover later, but swimming is weirdly out of place as being an absolute chore. It's slow, it breaks whatever flow you had, and if you aren't close to any shore line youre absolutely fucked. Rafts exist, and make crossing water easier, but they're not all that common and frankly kind of inconvenient to operate. That's one weapon slot that you have to always dedicate to holding a leaf, and weapon slots are a precious commodity

-Weapon durability can get old, but this stops being a problem later on down the line. Frankly I just use the Master Sword more often than not, and when it runs out of juice i whip out one of the eight royal broadswords I have on me at any given time

PROS

most pros are pretty self evident, so i wont go into them too much. world design, attention to detail, music, atmosphere, etc. we all know these things are true. i wont waste your time.

-Enemies, while few in variety, are really colorful and full of personality. You ever just watch enemies mill around their camps? They're goofy little bastards. Lizalfos are cold, inhuman predators, bokoblins are idiotic tribalistic barbarians, and moblins are oafish but kind of endearing brutes. You ever wear a moblin mask and walk up to a moblin? They reach out to you with a kind of sad, frankenstein-like familiarity that breaks the heart

-This game is a completionist's wet dream. Now, i understand that not everyone wants to collect and catalog every last sub type of mushroom in all of hyrule, but... i do. i really, really fucking do. i live for that shit. i love collecting things, and its my biggest pet peeve when a game makes collectables these hovering, holographic abstractions that flash in the screen when you walk over it. collectables in this game are, like, tangible things that you can hold and take pictures of and you have to actually record their existence, and... like, i love it. im having so much fun 100%ing this game because of it

-Movement is flawless. I think movement is what puts this game over the edge and really makes it something special. Future developers will study breath of the wild for its freedom of movement, and i think this game secures its spot as a top zelda game for this detail a lone. Travelling from point A to point B is so fucking fun. Shield surfing? Paragliding? Horse riding? Climbing? its all so fluid and free form, and every method of travel seamlessly blends into the other. That is, until you hit a lake, but whatever. You can always just go around it lol. Either way, movement in an open world game is always a Huge Deal. how is the player going to travel our huge game world? will they enjoy it? how much will they rely on fast travel? frankly i dont think i can ever play an elder scrolls game again after this, simply because walking around is such a clomping, wood-footed drag compared to how elegant travelling in breath of the wild is

-Being overpowered isnt a bad thing. Sure, you don't ever die, and no enemy can ever hope to hit you faster than you can shove entire three course meals into your mouth, but... holy shit you can do some seriously badass shit in this game. and its not because youve allocated skill points in a certain feat, or because you put more numbers in one stat over another, or because of whatever goofy arbitrary Level Up system you usually see in an rpg. its because youve mastered the mechanics of the game, and because the mechanics are so naturally free form and smooth. ill give an example

last night i was riding my trusty steed around hyrule field, when a guardian stalker ran up to me and start blasting away. now this fight was already miles ahead most casual encounters in other games simply because chase scenes are badass, but it would only get better. as i zigzagged around the field, dodging actual lasers and shit, i leaped from my saddle, matrix-timed shot an arrow at the guardian's eye, LANDED BACK ON MY FUCKING HORSE WHILE SHE WAS STILL GALLOPING, then rode around the stunned guardian while cutting its legs off. i mean, sure, i was never at any risk of dying at any point, but holy SHIT i felt badass. like it was some legitimate E3 tech demo shit. and this was just one fight, similar instances happen all the fucking time, and you have so many options in any given fight that EVEN THOUGH you will likely never die or be in any danger, you still have a lot of fun

anyway im sure there are more pros and more cons but i got work to do so thats all ill say for now

Last edited by Tom; Mar. 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 15, 2017, 11:54 AM   #84
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

yeah, i agree with all of that. it really is a game that thrives in its possibilities (partially because of what you said about the enemies, this is the smartest AI I've ever seen in a Nintendo game) which lends itself to kind of getting a second life in online viral videos, but lacks in other ways. I'll probably get more into it after I finish the game.

(also I pretty much always avoid swimming by musing the ice ability, which ends up being a lot faster and actually kind of enjoyable in how novel it is)

Last edited by prooker; Mar. 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM.
prooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 15, 2017, 12:09 PM   #85
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

i wish you could frozone style shield surf over water using ice
Old Mar. 15, 2017, 12:16 PM   #86
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

thatd be fucking rad, call nintendo up and tell em to put it in the dlc
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 02:25 AM   #87
Ryu-Gi
Banned
Silver Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prooker View Post
this is the smartest AI I've ever seen in a Nintendo game
This^

The AI can be pretty impressive at times. I was actually really surprised once when a Moblin once kicked a bomb I'd left behind for him out of the way before I could blow it. Then there was the time when I went to the Colosseum ruins and knocked a Lizalfos off the ledge, it actually ran all the way back up the stairs to get at me. Was totally not expecting that.

Right now, personally I'm at the point where I've done most of the main quest things and I'm ready to properly fight Ganon, but I just want to explore some more before that because there's still so much I haven't gotten around to seeing yet. Like in my post at the top of the page, I had no idea that there was a little polynesian-inspired town to the far southeast until i stumbled across it yesterday. It just felt really awesome because I wasn't expecting something like that. Lurelin is probably my favorite little spot in Hyrule now just because I love the tropical atmosphere and style of the buildings etc.

Also of note, I found out that someone datamined the game and found that there's some hidden costumes attached to Amiibo that haven't been released yet:

EDIT: On another note: I am so glad they put actual little towns. In the past it was always just Castle Town, Kakariko, maybe a Zora and Goron town, but nothing more then that. Here you get to see various little towns scattered throughout Hyrule and they all feel like actual towns. They've got there colorful denizens, little kids running around playing, people going about their business, stores selling all sorts of stuff, etc. Hateno is probably my favorite town (Apart from Lurelin) Just because its the one that feels the most organic and realistic. (Plus being Asian I love that they've got rice paddies and I just keep buying rice every time I go into the store and I'm excited for it like what the fuck why am I obsessed with rice in this game) I'm also especially glad that they allowed you to buy a house in that town exactly because it's such a nice place, though if I had one thing I would improve upon it would be the option to buy a house in any town, like Lurelin. Imagine Link setting up his own beachfront pad to relax in after the fight's all done and stuff. Plus this would give you the option of more places to store/display weapons, too.

This gets me excited for the future of the series, I hope Nintendo sees that they did a damn good job with this and continues to improve upon it, because they've found something really special here.

Last edited by Ryu-Gi; Mar. 16, 2017 at 02:44 AM.
Ryu-Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 07:40 AM   #88
Pinflan_Jinglewit
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Pinflan_Jinglewit

Isn't the goddess sword just the master sword before it got charged up?
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 09:10 AM   #89
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

ugh i wish i had amiibos. i really dont like the hero of the wilds outfit
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 09:42 AM   #90
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

You're crazy it makes him look like this guy

Look at that cool dude, he's probably the second coolest looking link after BOTW link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe the Great View Post
the only thing id like to say in regards to it is that like ive said before i think it bears reminding that white or i guess in this case cis babyism is a thing that shouldnt be trivialized
freepooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 09:56 AM   #91
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

Here let me just give a quick top 5 links (NSFW NSFW)

#5 nope

Quote:
the only thing id like to say in regards to it is that like ive said before i think it bears reminding that white or i guess in this case cis babyism is a thing that shouldnt be trivialized

Last edited by symuun; Mar. 16, 2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: nope
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 10:08 AM   #92
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

Pruuuuude

Quote:
Old Mar. 16, 2017, 12:19 PM   #93
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

okay are we really doing this

do you really wanna throw down my homie

are we talkin links cause

listen

listen to me

i can talk links.

give me a minute to assemble my list

Last edited by Tom; Mar. 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 17, 2017, 06:13 PM   #94
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

Well, after taking a break from the game for a few days I decided to watch an episode of the Game Grumps playing it. I went in just to see why everyone loves it so much and actually learned a couple of things that completely changed my perception of the game.

First of all, I had no idea you needed to return to the tower to look around for the shrines. Only after you just happen to do that does "Old Man" say "you should climb to a high spot to look around, and also here's how the map actually works hurr durr". Being able to actually navigate completely changes the game obviously. This would be why I complained about the waypoints, I had no idea how to set them myself. Now that I actually have goals to work toward I'm enjoying it.

I know everyone loves how open the game is, but it would be great if at least the tutorial was a little tighter; I had no idea how to combine ingredients to cook without someone telling me. I still hate the weapons mechanic, the stamina mechanic, and the replacement of hearts with adding a bunch of extra steps for food. However, I'm getting the hang of it so I think I can work around it. Even though I don't hate the game anymore I still prefer the linear games, and I'm going to miss them. I guess on the plus side though I'll still be able to enjoy the series I've loved for so long, and it's a relief to know it hasn't completely alienated me.

I still stand by my claim the game doesn't deserve a 10/10 though. Even people who love the game are critical of the weapons mechanic. It's generally seen as a hindrance you eventually overcome, not a mechanic that adds fun to the experience. The world is huge, but it feels ridiculously cold and empty. It's not a bad game exactly now that I actually know how to play, but it's still far from being the best one yet in my opinion. I guess the changes everyone else loves so much I'm just not a big fan of, and I really miss the full dungeons.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 17, 2017, 09:53 PM   #95
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoraslayer View Post
The world is huge, but it feels ridiculously cold and empty.
I keep coming back to this. The world feels beautifully hollow.
Old Mar. 19, 2017, 09:51 PM   #96
Ryu-Gi
Banned
Silver Legend

If this is real then it's amazing.

Old Mar. 23, 2017, 01:51 AM   #97
Ryu-Gi
Banned
Silver Legend

Can I just say how amazing it is that I'm 120 hours into this game and I'm STILL finding new shit I haven't seen before? I just found the Lanayru Promenade and it's a rather interesting spot. Even moreso since Naydra just happened to be coasting through it at the time as well.

Also I've found my new look. Feels like something I would design.

Last edited by Ryu-Gi; Mar. 23, 2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old Mar. 24, 2017, 04:47 AM   #98
Aaron
Administrator
administrator
Squire

I've really been enjoying this game.

I must admit this week i haven't had a chance to play, been way too busy BUT i'd probably be happy if i don't buy another switch game for a while and just play Zelda on the thing.

I did a few "episodes" for my youtube channel if anyone wants to check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYN...Db2v-3dqP9T-8g
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar. 24, 2017, 07:41 AM   #99
Pinflan_Jinglewit
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Pinflan_Jinglewit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-Gi View Post
If this is real then it's amazing.

Not going to lie, I thought this was going to basically be Ken Sama.
Old Mar. 24, 2017, 10:01 PM   #100
Pirate
Trash all the way down
Hero

Send a message via Skype™ to Pirate

Spoilers are okay by me
Cant afford this game yet

Neat garbs, ryu