Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > ZeldaPower > General Chat

Old Aug. 30, 2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Default Symuun, re: Speaking Of Germany...

When Soku and I were in Germany this past June, we were not impressed at all with their supposed punctuality. Both of our German flights were late, disrupting our layover schedules, and two of our trains were late--one by 20 minutes.

As someone who has lived among the Germanic peoples, do you care to comment?

(The country itself was lovely, and we're eager to return someday.)
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 30, 2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Vertigo
What a mouthfull
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Vertigo
Default Re: Symuun, re: Speaking Of Germany...

East Germans
Old Aug. 31, 2017, 03:06 AM   #3
Exo
Epically Epic ツ
Hero

It is all because of Brexit.

Symuun, Symuun, Symuun..

EXO & Symuun 2006 - 2017 R.I.P
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 31, 2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Were you flying Lufthansa? They're usually pretty good at minimising delays, though I did nearly get trapped in Frankfurt airport once when the snow was particularly bad. I think I got on the last flight out of the city. On the other hand, if you went with a low-cost airline, well, you brought it on yourself.

As for Deutsche Bahn, I can't defend their punctuality - it's a running joke even among the Germans - but I will defend their ICE trains to the death because they are so, so wonderful.

What part(s) of the country did you end up visiting?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 31, 2017, 05:50 PM   #5
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

We were flying Lufthansa! And I'm certain at least one of our trains was an ICE train. The train system was a little tough for us to decipher, but fortunately everybody seems to speak English (and I felt quite guilty for hardly knowing a word of German).

We landed at Frankfurt airport where we took a train to Koblenz. Koblenz was... not all that attractive looking (from the train platform, anyway), but the train we took from Koblenz traced along the Moselle River, passing hills dotted with castles. It was stunning.

We spent two days in Cochem, a small castle town in a river valley along the Moselle. It was amazingly beautiful, and we had just a fantastic time. People were friendly, the castle we toured was probably the most decadently detailed building we've seen in our lives, and the food was great. The only bad part of the experience was the intense, sunny June weather. Not a cloud in the sky nor gust of wind for relief, and we learned a painful lesson in how little some parts of Europe believe in air conditioning. XD

We also weren't big fans of the Munich airport, which subjected us to no fewer than 5 passport checks and had such a poorly staffed customs queue that we nearly missed our flight.

But views like this were absolutely worth it:

Cochem really was incredible, and we very much want to revisit it sometime. Thank you again for your help in finding this destination.
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 31, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Right, I forgot that we talked about that area! Yeah, it's a lovely part of the country. Good landscape, good history. I've only been through Munich airport once, but I do remember it being a hassle - and that was when travelling as an EU citizen. Let me know if and when you go back - there's plenty other places I could recommend. Maybe I'll even be able to join you next time.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote