Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > ZeldaPower > General Chat

Old Jun. 18, 2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

Default zp life update thread

love you guys. zp has been sort of halfway active recently. thats great. i fucking hate the rest of the internet, its pretty much the worst place. im way more comfortable here than i am actually talking to people face to face. cant wait until i die and i dont have to walk around in this god awful body anymore

like how are you guys? hows life? we should have like an update thread. a life update thread from zp land. how everyones doing. what we're all up to. oh wait thats what this is. how convenient. how super convenient you should thank me. for this idea

me? well golly, im doing okay i guess. still working for that website. still driving a big ol truck. still living in my tiny apartment. still pursuing fleeting yet dramatic romantic engagements. you ever feel like your life has plateaued and nothing has meaning anymore? yeah me neither. i dont think ive ever been happier. been eating a lot. healthy people eat a lot. did you know i spent 200 dollars a week last month on food? thats normal. i did the math. its not really that weird when you think about it. thats why i dont think about it, cause its not even really like its not even really weird, really

man i love this site. i love you guys. how are you? tell me all about your lives. lets get some updates. see how things go on those updates. dinner and a movie you know. get uplaid

Last edited by Tom; Jun. 18, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 03:17 PM   #2
ifm2181
The Official Opposition
Triforce of Courage

Default Re: zp life update thread

Yeah, I've noticed that ZP has been quite quiet recently, which I guess is a good sign.

Currently, I'm unemployed again, but following up on leads for other things in the area. Waiting on profitable phone calls and the like, you know.
Disappointed hockey's over, but a bit elated that I no longer need to watch TV anymore.
Picked up WoW again, playing on a 1.12.1 private server because classic WoW is still the best form of the game and I like to reminisce like a ******.

Life has really not changed much.
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Good thread. Well done.

Work's up and down, as ever - I'm still a freelancer, and more certain than ever that this is what I want to do with my life. But the business needs to grow, because right now it's not reliably paying my cost of living. I don't know what other customers are out there, because the main field I work in is pretty niche, but I'm currently trying to work out who else I can talk to, ideally without spamming adverts at anonymous general-enquiries email addresses.

If that fails, I'm sure the book I'm writing will be an international bestseller and let me buy a castle next door to J.K. Rowling's one.

What else? I've still got my house in Swindon, I still responsibly enjoy rum and real ale (never mixed, of course), I still play an awful lot of video games. Dota 2 is my thing right now; I play regularly with two other friends and we are starting to be not totally incompetent at it, which is nice.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifm2181 View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that ZP has been quite quiet recently, which I guess is a good sign.

Currently, I'm unemployed again, but following up on leads for other things in the area. Waiting on profitable phone calls and the like, you know.
Disappointed hockey's over, but a bit elated that I no longer need to watch TV anymore.
Picked up WoW again, playing on a 1.12.1 private server because classic WoW is still the best form of the game and I like to reminisce like a ******.

Life has really not changed much.
yeah man classic wow is the shit. i still remember farting around at level 50 thinking i was SO CLOSE to being the bomb diggity, then BC dropped and i never caught up since

sucks about the job sitch. youll find something though. if you like hockey.. have you considered being a hockey? i dont know what that entails but they say do what you love

Quote:
Originally Posted by symuun View Post
Good thread. Well done.

Work's up and down, as ever - I'm still a freelancer, and more certain than ever that this is what I want to do with my life. But the business needs to grow, because right now it's not reliably paying my cost of living. I don't know what other customers are out there, because the main field I work in is pretty niche, but I'm currently trying to work out who else I can talk to, ideally without spamming adverts at anonymous general-enquiries email addresses.

If that fails, I'm sure the book I'm writing will be an international bestseller and let me buy a castle next door to J.K. Rowling's one.

What else? I've still got my house in Swindon, I still responsibly enjoy rum and real ale (never mixed, of course), I still play an awful lot of video games. Dota 2 is my thing right now; I play regularly with two other friends and we are starting to be not totally incompetent at it, which is nice.
you know it may be hard finding work but the fact that youre certain about your life path must make up for it. that kind of confidence is hard to come by

how is dota 2? ive been thinking about playing it. i tooled around with LoL for a few months but kind of fell out because i hated the community. is dota's any better?

Last edited by Tom; Jun. 18, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5
freepooper
Professional Youtube
Silver Legend

I'm still busy being a freeloading sack of shit at my parents' house, I'm nominally trying to grab a degree in computer science but man, academia sort of isn't my thing and I've basically fucked every major opportunity I had up royally like at least three different times. Right now I'm taking a calc 2 summer course that should go fine.

But also since I'm a pretty great person like once a day I'll drive over to help out my aunt who's recovering from a stroke to walk with her and stuff and that's ok. Also my grandparents are in a shitty situation where neither one of them can drive (my grandma's blind and my grandfather is losing his memory) so I've been helping them out, mowing their lawn and driving them places, while they get ready to move to this nice retirement community that they don't really want to move to (my cousins also help them out too so it's not like I'm doing everything)

In the last week or so in addition to listening to podcasts while replaying the same 100 levels from N, I've been screwing around in Unity a little bit for fun, and man that engine really makes 3D game dev dead simple it only took me like three days to make a checkerboard that plays Danse Macabre, who knows what I could accomplish in six days?

edit: also yo tom maybe we should start a dota2 ZP EAST club? I've goofed around in like 10 matches atleast, and the feeling I get is that that game is a sack of shit if you're playing it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe the Great View Post
the only thing id like to say in regards to it is that like ive said before i think it bears reminding that white or i guess in this case cis babyism is a thing that shouldnt be trivialized

Last edited by freepooper; Jun. 18, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
freepooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
how is dota 2? ive been thinking about playing it. i tooled around with LoL for a few months but kind of fell out because i hated the community. is dota's any better?
Dota 2 itself is pretty great. I'd never played a MOBA before this, so my closest point of comparison was Starcraft 2, which had the most exhilarating highs and the most depressing lows of any game I've ever played. I gave up on it because it wasn't worth the stress, but Dota gives me that sense of gradually learning something impossibly deep and complex, and feel the rush of a victory well-earned, without feeling the sting of defeat nearly as hard. I think it might be just because in this game, I can at least blame my four other teammates.

As far as the community goes, well, it's an online game so inevitably there's a certain number of idiots. Interestingly, though, I almost never get personally flamed. At least not in English. I have learned a few interesting Russian swear words, but I'm damned if I usually know exactly who they're upset at or why. When people do communicate, it's usually actually quite constructive and friendly. Definitely have a couple of friends you can play regularly with, though - have a Skype group call running in the background and it becomes so much more fun. And if someone does get arsey with you, you can always just mute them.
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Ben
Half a gangster
Platinum Triforce Legend

I live in Toronto with my sister and her 2 cats working for Weed Man (again) until I can find something better. I had a much "better" job on PEI in terms of $$$ but I dunno it kind of made me depressed so I don't regret quitting. but I do miss the money.

also I'm visiting PEI soon for Canada Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageofFire View Post
I hope your community rots along with it's rotten users.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:54 PM   #8
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to prooker

i watched like 66 episodes of buffy and angel in a month along w/ current shows, finished house of leaves, and am still working on a "summer" mix because my identity is a multimedia trash pile

do you want a movie list
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
prooker
ʕ//ᴥ//ʔ
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to prooker

oh i played phil's checkersmacabre game beta it's gonna be goty
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Tom
◥θ┴θ◤
Triforce of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite40 View Post
I'm still busy being a freeloading sack of shit at my parents' house, I'm nominally trying to grab a degree in computer science but man, academia sort of isn't my thing and I've basically fucked every major opportunity I had up royally like at least three different times. Right now I'm taking a calc 2 summer course that should go fine.

But also since I'm a pretty great person like once a day I'll drive over to help out my aunt who's recovering from a stroke to walk with her and stuff and that's ok. Also my grandparents are in a shitty situation where neither one of them can drive (my grandma's blind and my grandfather is losing his memory) so I've been helping them out, mowing their lawn and driving them places, while they get ready to move to this nice retirement community that they don't really want to move to (my cousins also help them out too so it's not like I'm doing everything)

In the last week or so in addition to listening to podcasts while replaying the same 100 levels from N, I've been screwing around in Unity a little bit for fun, and man that engine really makes 3D game dev dead simple it only took me like three days to make a checkerboard that plays Danse Macabre, who knows what I could accomplish in six days?

edit: also yo tom maybe we should start a dota2 ZP EAST club? I've goofed around in like 10 matches atleast, and the feeling I get is that that game is a sack of shit if you're playing it alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by symuun View Post
Dota 2 itself is pretty great. I'd never played a MOBA before this, so my closest point of comparison was Starcraft 2, which had the most exhilarating highs and the most depressing lows of any game I've ever played. I gave up on it because it wasn't worth the stress, but Dota gives me that sense of gradually learning something impossibly deep and complex, and feel the rush of a victory well-earned, without feeling the sting of defeat nearly as hard. I think it might be just because in this game, I can at least blame my four other teammates.

As far as the community goes, well, it's an online game so inevitably there's a certain number of idiots. Interestingly, though, I almost never get personally flamed. At least not in English. I have learned a few interesting Russian swear words, but I'm damned if I usually know exactly who they're upset at or why. When people do communicate, it's usually actually quite constructive and friendly. Definitely have a couple of friends you can play regularly with, though - have a Skype group call running in the background and it becomes so much more fun. And if someone does get arsey with you, you can always just mute them.
damn you guys are making me want to play dota 2. maybe ill give it a shot.

also, phil, dont worry about whatever opportunities you missed. the great thing about life is that its a constant rave of good things and horrible things blasted directly in your face so fast and so loudly that you cant even tell them apart and sometimes you miss shit and sometimes you fuck up but the rave never ever stops so theres always another chance

until you die

so as long as you dont die youll be okay. and if you can functionally live with the consequences of your fuck ups then all the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I live in Toronto with my sister and her 2 cats working for Weed Man (again) until I can find something better. I had a much "better" job on PEI in terms of $$$ but I dunno it kind of made me depressed so I don't regret quitting. but I do miss the money.

also I'm visiting PEI soon for Canada Day
money isnt everything ben. its only 90% of things. never forget that

Quote:
Originally Posted by prooker View Post
i watched like 66 episodes of buffy and angel in a month along w/ current shows, finished house of leaves, and am still working on a "summer" mix because my identity is a multimedia trash pile

do you want a movie list
multimedia trash pile is a good name for some form of multimedia collection. like an album or book of def poems

if you give me a list of movies that can all be found on netflix i promise i will watch them this summer
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

im taking all these classes because i want to make the most of my gi bill. i'll graduate in december with degrees in management information systems and general administration, and minors in computer science and marketing, as well as a shit ton of concentrations and certificates. im pretty happy with this place im interning at - i am essentially the IT department and i can pretty much do whatever. i love my baby james - he's getting so big. he loves to chase the cats around and scream at them. i kind of want another. i havent had much time to play video games, but i did pick up mario kart 8 and that has been fun. mostly though ive just been a depressed sack of shit with no friends, but thats alright. im going on vacation to south carolina next week. travel with a baby is always fun. classes are going alright i guess. my sister graduated last semester - she's a veterinarian now so thats really cool. i went to her graduation and mostly just walked james up and down the stairs. that kid really likes stairs. i go to the zoo a lot - i have a membership. this one time, the baby hippo got up from her nap, and started rubbing her butt on a tree stump. then it started peeing and kept peeing for like a full two minutes. she was standing in a pool of her own pee. then she started spraying poop everywhere. it was pretty gross

D - O - G - A - R - S
Jessica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

so computer science stuff is pretty cool and fun and whatever but i dont think im really that good at it. i can read code and whatever and im pretty competent at windows administration and understand how to build and work with databases but theres just so much shit i know i dont know. i took a horticulture class my sophomore year and had a really fun time. it made me want to switch majors and work to become a landscape engineer. the problem was my university didnt offer that major - i would of had to take classes in lincoln, and fuck that place, seriously. plus i was already pretty committed to this other major, what with having completed half the course work already.

D - O - G - A - R - S
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:48 PM   #13
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

i jerk off a lot. probably an unhealthy amount. i jerk off to weird shit too. i should probably stop doing that.

D - O - G - A - R - S
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:51 PM   #14
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

my wife works in the nicu at a childrens hospital and tells me about all these depressing as fuck babies where the parents are just absolute garbage and as a direct result their kid is brain damaged or is destined to die and it makes me so godamn angry i dont understand these people or how my wife can handle that without killing these people

D - O - G - A - R - S
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

i dont know if this will surprise you or not but ive never had a ton of friends i have always pushed people away and been brooding or an asshole or made it so people didnt want to be around me but i dont know why i did that because i do like people and i do want friends and i am a pretty decent caring person but i always make people not want to be around me throughout high school and now as a result in my adult life i have no friends and no one to blame but myself and i cant make new friends at college because no one wants to talk to the old guy with a baby and people at work are nice enough but i cant make a real connection all they want out of me is to make their shit work right

D - O - G - A - R - S
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 05:58 PM   #16
Priestess of Farore
BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
Triforce of Wisdom

edit: shit drk I don't know how to address all that because you typed it while I was blathering about my own shit but I think you're great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
you ever feel like your life has plateaued and nothing has meaning anymore? yeah me neither. i dont think ive ever been happier. been eating a lot. healthy people eat a lot. did you know i spent 200 dollars a week last month on food? thats normal. i did the math. its not really that weird when you think about it. thats why i dont think about it, cause its not even really like its not even really weird, really
Oh man Tom I so feel you there. I saw this topic title and was like, man, I don't have any life updates. Nothing has happened to me for the past three or so years and that's great. Well, okay, my job situation changed pretty dramatically this year, but that was really the only thing and really the transition itself was so minimal that it's already in the distant rear view mirror of my personal time yarn or whatever. I've somehow managed to sustain a totally healthy and fulfilling relationship for like six years now, we live in a totally acceptable apartment in a great neighborhood, and yeah now that my job shit is ironed out it's totally fine. The press is about to do some growing I think, we're trying to get more funding coming in so that's a lot of work, but the work of publishing itself continues on its own gently upward trajectory. I'm really happy about a lot of the books we're publishing in the next few years. Wow, what a fulfilling job. I'm so great.

One thing I've noticed is that, as you tend to do at this age, a lot of my friends are planning weddings or having weddings or having babies or trying to buy houses and I'm just so like, man, I don't want to do any of that. I'm not even hating on any aspect of that -- drk your baby sounds hilarious and you sound really happy about him, so that's awesome -- but I'm just really lazy about all of it. I'm totally fine to have all of my versions of those things just coast along as they are for the foreseeable future. Getting married seems like a lot of bother, I have no interest in making and then taking care of a tiny helpless blob of half-baked person that poops and yells at me, and I can't afford a house so I just don't have any opinion about that.

I do want a pet, though. Vince is less allergic to dogs but we're not really home enough to take care of a dog. I super want a cat but I think I would have to get some crazy witch doctor medicine involved in order to prevent him from dying under cat hair

Last edited by Priestess of Farore; Jun. 18, 2014 at 06:01 PM.
Priestess of Farore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

no that's cool pof i am actually mostly happy about where my life is now i have a lot of reasons to be happy. i just get like this sometimes

D - O - G - A - R - S
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 06:17 PM   #18
Goddess Din
We can have custom title?
Platinum Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Goddess Din Send a message via MSN to Goddess Din

I must be lucky. Only one of my close friends has a baby. The rest of them are pursuing their graduate degrees or totally focusing in their jobs. I haven't attended a wedding in many, many years. I haven't been subjected to the 20-something life crisis caused by facebook.

My life:

Pros: I went to Europe! I decided to give my career a break and work/live in France for a while. Granted, I went to the crappiest place of France, the north, but it was totally worth it. The people were extremely nice and it was weird as hell not to have to watch my back. I can count the instances of sexual harrassment with one hand. The food was great, and I only gained 5 kilos (11 pounds). That camembert cheese man. I made great friends and visited Spain and Belgium. However, I miss the children of my host family. The 2 year-old girl was really attached to me; she would follow me around the house and scream my name. The host mother says she still goes into what used to be my room and calls me. It breaks my heart. I thought I wouldn't miss those kids, but I do. They were real brats some days, but they actually wanted to learn about Mexico. It was very sweet.

Cons: I've been having some problems with my boyfriend, and sometimes I think if I should forget about him. It's very very hard, but we had a nasty skype fight yesterday, and I've been giving my relationship with him a second thought. I could keep on traveling around the world if it weren't for him: he's the only thing that's holding me back on this country. I could either make my dream happen and keep on traveling, or stay with him.

Goddess Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 06:22 PM   #19
Raven
Inveterate Wordbird
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

It's okay to be a bit mopey sometimes. Just remember that you are awesome, that you have an awesome family, and that people on the internet think you are awesome too.

(I am saying these words to the actual DrkMtx3. Is this adulthood that is happening here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestess of Farore View Post
One thing I've noticed is that, as you tend to do at this age, a lot of my friends are planning weddings or having weddings or having babies or trying to buy houses and I'm just so like, man, I don't want to do any of that. I'm not even hating on any aspect of that -- drk your baby sounds hilarious and you sound really happy about him, so that's awesome -- but I'm just really lazy about all of it. I'm totally fine to have all of my versions of those things just coast along as they are for the foreseeable future. Getting married seems like a lot of bother, I have no interest in making and then taking care of a tiny helpless blob of half-baked person that poops and yells at me, and I can't afford a house so I just don't have any opinion about that.
Yeah, I had one pair of friends get married last summer, and I'm a groomsman at another one this year. My housemate's little sister has a six-ish-month-old baby, and of my immediate circle of offline friends, I'm one of the last few single people. As someone who has barely even dipped his toe into the great big swimming pool of dating, I am not even beginning to be ready for that kind of stuff.

And banks tend to be mortally terrified of anyone who is self-employed and not a millionaire, so I don't think I'll be getting a mortgage any time soon. Fine by me - I'd just be waiting for the housing market to crash anyway.
Old Jun. 18, 2014, 06:23 PM   #20
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

EDIT: to GD

thats a pretty tough spot to be in and i wont even pretend to offer advice one way or the other since the decision is absolutely yours. i sometimes feel the same way about my family; if id never married and had a kid, i would most certainly be traveling the world.

maybe.

its actually more probable that id be holed up somewhere clutching my money

D - O - G - A - R - S