Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > Zelda Series > Handheld Zelda Games > Spirit Tracks

Old Oct. 3, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
zeldork
Rated M for Everyone
Squire

Angry I'm worried zelda's becoming too modernized

It was okay when link was riding a horse and walking, and warping, but modern technology is interfering with the fantasy and wonder of Zelda. Now, you ride steamboats, cannons, and trains?! what's next, a jet? a space shuttle?! am I the only one concerned?
Old Oct. 3, 2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Muffin Mage
says fuck in every post
Elite Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Muffin Mage
Default Re: I'm worried zelda's becoming too modernized

I'd say so, yes. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. /problem

blog
Muffin Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

Newsflash, people have been concerned that Zelda actually sucks since WW was announced.
Old Oct. 3, 2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

Don't the people of Hyrule get to experience progress? You don't expect them to be stuck in the middle ages forever, do you?
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 3, 2009, 02:31 PM   #5
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

They're not real, so yes.
Old Oct. 14, 2009, 09:13 AM   #6
nighthawk41
Warrior

The mixing of modern/futuristic technology and medieval/colonial/whatever times has been used for ages. Look up the steampunk genre in science fiction.
I personally don't have a problem with it since most of these things are powered by spirits or gods instead of technological advances, because in the zelda universe, magic > SCIENCE!!1!
Old Oct. 15, 2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Blu
[Falcon Flirt!]
Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to Blu

I personally like all of the Zelda games. I like the sailing aspect of Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker. I do wish that they would stick to the horse riding and such, but I would think they would run out of ideas if they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Din View Post
I like this you and me part with the alllll night thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by symuun View Post
I'll show you, Blu, and then we can eat sausages together. =[ With mustard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifm2181 View Post
I believe all of you will be weasels
because you are all weasel-faced rat bastards
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 20, 2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Jaden
The Hero Of Time
Peasant

I agree with zeldork, Zelda was meant to be a fantasy/medieval game, and I think it works best as such. I did like WW boat, but not PH. The Zelda makers should stay true to the series that was before PH and expand based only on that, you should only change the vision of a game as an absolute last resort, to me, changing the basis of Zelda is like saying... Mario can't wear his plumbers outfit anymore.

For tutorials on how to do zelda on RM2K3 and RMXP, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/AdmiralJaden

You can also contact me and make requests at http://thezeldaforum.freeforums.org
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 20, 2009, 01:44 PM   #9
The Teej
Administrator
administrator
Elite Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to The Teej Send a message via MSN to The Teej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I agree with zeldork, Zelda was meant to be a fantasy/medieval game, and I think it works best as such. I did like WW boat, but not PH. The Zelda makers should stay true to the series that was before PH and expand based only on that, you should only change the vision of a game as an absolute last resort, to me, changing the basis of Zelda is like saying... Mario can't wear his plumbers outfit anymore.
And when they don't change the vision and keep it like TP, people complain it's just more of the same. They can't win.

~Random Thread button returning soon~
The Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 20, 2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Bah, change is good. Change is what keeps things... relevant. Man, back when WW was announced, the outrage was -unbelievable-. "What are with those stupid graphics?!" they cried. "Why is there a BOAT?!" they screamed. But I've heard maybe two individuals actually complain about any of that after actually playing. It got -amazing- reviews, and has since become my absolute favorite Zelda. That's what change, risk, and experimentation can do. 'Keeping it the same' will get no one anywhere, and we'll keep having the exact same experience time and time again, and eventually people just won't pay for that - because it'd get as boring as hell. So yay change!
Old Oct. 20, 2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Jaden
The Hero Of Time
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce King View Post
Bah, change is good. Change is what keeps things... relevant. Man, back when WW was announced, the outrage was -unbelievable-. "What are with those stupid graphics?!" they cried. "Why is there a BOAT?!" they screamed. But I've heard maybe two individuals actually complain about any of that after actually playing. It got -amazing- reviews, and has since become my absolute favorite Zelda. That's what change, risk, and experimentation can do. 'Keeping it the same' will get no one anywhere, and we'll keep having the exact same experience time and time again, and eventually people just won't pay for that - because it'd get as boring as hell. So yay change!
That's a good point, I never really looked at it that way with Zelda, I guess I'm just tied to the older style cause that's what I grew up with...

For tutorials on how to do zelda on RM2K3 and RMXP, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/AdmiralJaden

You can also contact me and make requests at http://thezeldaforum.freeforums.org
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 23, 2009, 12:28 PM   #12
nighthawk41
Warrior

Hell, I grew up with LTTP and OOT and I still like the new style. Although I do wish we had more of the OOT style.
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 02:34 AM   #13
Hylian_Ninja
Peasant

The fact is, that Zelda isn't even Zelda anymore. Link was never meant to ride trains and steamboats. He has a horse, and her name is Epona. Also, I could have lived with the cartoonish graphics, were it not for TP. Up until this point, the series has been generally progressing in some fashion, now... it feels like an enormous step backward.

Also, not to be rude, but I would keep paying for the same general plot. Change is good, but not a drastic makeover for a time-honored series with tons of dedicated fans. That's not how they've kept us hooked for twenty-four years. I feel like they've taken a generic game, and just figured, "What the heck; why not just stamp 'The Legend of Zelda' on this. No one will even notice until they've already bought it." FAIL.

Last edited by Triforce King; Oct. 28, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Hylian_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Don't double post. There's an edit button, quite easy to find, for such things.

Now anyways, 'drastic makeover.' This isn't a drastic makeover, this is a continuation of a preexisting makeover beginning with Wind Waker, continued in Phantom Hourglass. The progression in those two games fed directly into this one, and moving up from where those two have gone easily prevent this from being drastic.

Moreover, again on Wind Waker - that one -was- a drastic makeover beyond anything this one could dream of. And again, that was an extremely highly-rated game by both reviewers and the 'tons of dedicated fans' that are somehow supposed to be against drastic makeovers. Which they were, until they played the game. And somehow that drastic makeover of epic proportions managed not to toss out the last twenty-four years. Interesting.

Aaand on cartoonish graphics and TP ruining them for you, I'm going to voice my opinion that TP's more realistic graphics weren't all that special - in fact, somewhat generic - as far as realistic graphics go. And furthermore go to add that cartoonish graphics have gone to be what defined some of my favorite games - again, Wind Waker, but also games like Okami. Those 'cartoonish' games were unbound and free to do what they would, unlike games bound by relative realism, and became to me the most visually pleasing of any game, far surpassing any 'realistic' graphics.

Now, you talk about the 'same general plot'. First I ask you where I ever mentioned plot myself, because I didn't. Hell, Wind Waker was another iteration of that plot, wasn't it? And I've already labeled it my favorite Zelda game. All I said was 'change'. Wind Waker changed things. Before Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time changed things. And if it weren't for those changes, those huge and drastic changes, and all the other changes, there is no doubt in my mind that Zelda would be dead. Change has kept it alive. I don't see how it's possible to debate that.

But continuing on the 'same general plot,' I'm going to toss out that that's -not- the best idea. Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask both broke those plots but hard, and I continuously hear about the both of them being two of the best Zelda games ever. Praise for breaking the mold. Praise for abandoning the classic Zelda style. Praise for what you claim would destroy its fanbase. No sir, change is good, and wouldn't even begin to alienate tons of dedicated fans.

Change makes the world go 'round!
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 10:19 AM   #15
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

I dunno, I loved TP's graphics. They were ****ing badass. I just hated TP.
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Muffin Mage
says fuck in every post
Elite Triforce Legend

If OoT was done in TP, it would have won everything ever. As it is, **** TP.

blog
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Mage View Post
If OoT was done in TP, it would have won everything ever. As it is, **** TP.
Yeah, OoT with TP's graphics would've been fine. I'm good with a remake.
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Muffin Mage
says fuck in every post
Elite Triforce Legend

That'd be ballin'

blog
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 03:30 PM   #19
Hylian_Ninja
Peasant

Okay, Triforce King. First of all, I am new here. I was not intentionally double-posting. There is no need to be a jerk. What I was saying, and wasn't looking to be attacked while doing so, was that SOME change can be beneficial to a series: i.e. the changes made to the graphics, plot, et cetera in order to facilitate the progression of the game's initial and continuing concept. What I was NOT saying was a) that I was talking about Spirit Tracks only, b) that nothing should ever ever be changed, and c) that there haven't been great strides made in this series up until this point. I was referring to the Wind Waker style graphics, which have carried over into Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks both. I don't like them. Nothing against you; I just don't personally care for the style. What I said was that, had TP not been released, I would probably not have thought much about the graphics change. But it was, and I do. I was also referring to the plot change beginning with Wind Waker, not Spirit Tracks, which was, as you pointed out, a HUGE change. I was strictly dealing with issues I have with these three games. I did not much care for Majora's Mask, either. Again, don't take it personally. I just preferred OoT. And Zelda will never die. I am not sure where you are from, but I cannot think of a single gamer in my area who cares for this 'new' Zelda. Also, I am not a 'sir'. I am a female; not a 'ma'am', just not a 'sir'. Thought I'd clear that one up.
On another note: I am not against unrealistic graphics, persay; just these in particular. I have loved cartoonish styles in many other games over the years, and I love cartoons. Just to be clear. I simply do not care for this particular style of graphic for this series, and possibly at all.

Last edited by Hylian_Ninja; Oct. 28, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Hylian_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct. 28, 2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

I did not mean to be rude about the double posting, and if I was accidentally harsh about that, I give my sincere apology. As to the sir, well, I didn't know so I made my best guess. The board is mostly male, most new members are male, male was the more likely situation. Don't read too deeply into that.

Now what we find ourselves faced with here is a difference in opinion. Things you don't care for that I love. Things that are purely aesthetic, by and large, so that can't really be argued. And so I'm not going to argue down those paths any longer, now that we've established it's an opinion matter.

Though I do need to point out that Spirit Tracks -isn't- a graphical change; it's the third to be released in this style, beginning with Wind Waker and continued with Phantom Hourglass. As such, it's not really a sudden change, or a change at all. Continuation of a preexisting graphical style. Also I'd like to mention that said graphical style is a lot better for the DS than Twilight Princess graphics are, and since this -is- a DS game we're discussing here... yeah.

One other thing - Zelda will die. Fact of life. Nothing lasts forever. The only question is how soon.

As a closing note, I'm not trying to attack you, or be offensive. I can get... intense, I guess, but I don't mean any harm. I apologize for any offense I caused in my earlier post, any offense I may have caused in this post, and any offense I may cause in the future - it's never what I want to do, but sometimes I do anyways. So... sorry.