Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > General Area > General Gaming and Zelda

Old Aug. 11, 2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

Default Nintendo shareholders want games on smartphone

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/11/...mes-to-iphone/

Nintendo seems to be pushed in a tight corner. Shareholders want the conservative company to move forward and develop for smartphones.

I would love to play SMB on my iPad
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Default Re: Nintendo shareholders want games on smartphone

Man, 'Tendo didn't make any panicky moves like that while PS1 was knocking around the 64, or PS2 and XBox both were schooling the GameCube. They dropped price sooner than they expected, their stock dropped some. Lowest in six years, it said? It's definitely been lower, then - see above allusions to being beaten on. Sudden, radical policy changes aren't happening. People are just freaking out over a setback. 'Tendo's survived worse than a quicker-than-expected price drop.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 08:45 AM   #3
WaddleDoo.
^ Ninja Gaiden 2 rip-off
Hero

Send a message via ICQ to WaddleDoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo the Airman View Post
I would love to play SMB on my iPad
can't you already do that with roms and emulators
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Pinflan_Jinglewit
Gold Legend

Send a message via AIM to Pinflan_Jinglewit

I think Nintendo should make smartphone games. They'd be able cheaply experiment with new ideas that they might not be daring enough to try on a full game, they could test young talent with these cheap games to see if they have the next Miyamoto on their hands, and iPhone/iPad and Android do have a very large user base so they'd definitely make money off of it. I don't think they should be porting old games, though. Those games were made for controllers with buttons, not touch screens. It would not be good.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Facelessman
Bronze Legend

They won't do it. Nintendo has built a very strong image with gamers, and they've made it clear phones are not part of that image.

I don't believe they should do it, either. They are a console company, producing games for phones could undermine their efforts to succeed in the console market. Apple is seen as a competitor, and Nintendo will not develop games for a competitor's platform.

The investors are overreacting, as investors tend to do -- just look at the stock market. (not just this week, but historically) Nintendo has a long term strategy in place, which does not include iPhones, and has worked for them for a long time. Even when not dominating the market, they profit.
Facelessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

Well, their conservative way of thinking may not be enough this time. Not because their methods have always worked will guarantee that they will forever.

Apple did not become the most valuable company in the world by trailing behind, they invest in new ideas and try to create new markets. I think Nintendo should do the same.

They are making the same mistake over and over again. Remember how they said online gaming would not be the future, so GameCube was left with crippled online support? And that HDTV would not be popular so Wii was stuck with SD graphics?

I might be wrong, I mean no one can look into the future, but I saw this coming way back. I'm sure Ninty has enough cash left to dig itself out of this but they won't be able to keep trailing behind because one day it will catch up and bite them in the arse.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
WaddleDoo.
^ Ninja Gaiden 2 rip-off
Hero

I think Nintendo should instead make cool games like modern warfare 2 instead of kiddy shit like mario
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Quote:
Apple did not become the most valuable company in the world by trailing behind, they invest in new ideas and try to create new markets. I think Nintendo should do the same.
Yeah, someone at Nintendo should say something like, "Hey, I know, let's try and market our system to families! That's an untapped market, we might strike gold there! Also, get this: Motion. Sensing."

Wait, wait, no, even better. They should say "Here's what we should do - we should try and compete in an oversaturated market, putting our games on a potential competitor's system, just because some panicky people are freaking out that the 3DS isn't quite the hit the Wii was!" Yeah, that's innovative thinking all right.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 11:25 AM   #9
WaddleDoo.
^ Ninja Gaiden 2 rip-off
Hero

Quote:
Apple did not become the most valuable company in the world by trailing behind, they invest in new ideas and try to create new markets. I think Nintendo should do the same..
I thought apple just had a really loyal fanbase that would buy anything apple makes even if its the same exact shit they bought a month ago
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddleDoo. View Post
I thought apple just had a really loyal fanbase that would buy anything apple makes even if its the same exact shit they bought a month ago
Yes, but doesn't Nintendo have that too? And Sony for that matter? Every company has a fan base, and no matter what you do you will always please that fan base.

But then there's the rest, you try to get your product out to as many people as possible. But if the needs of those people shift, you have to change with them. You can't keep on doing what you've been doing forever. I can't say it won't work, maybe this whole smartphone thing is just a hype, but for all we know it's just the beginning.

Twenty years ago, there was no such thing as an all-road 'enduro' motorcycle. Today it's the most popular type of motorcycle on the planet. The world is in motion, and as a company you have to evolve with it.

That is not to say that Nintendo is not an innovative company. They developed Wii, which was the pioneer in motion gaming. Sony, Microsoft and even the smartphones now all incorporate motion one way or another. All thanks to Nintendo. But that doesn't mean they can now sit back and enjoy, if they want to stay ahead of the game at least. The competition caught on fairly early and now it's up to Nintendo to raise the bar. They failed with 3DS and to be honest I'm not positive Wii 2 will kill the competition off either.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Seriously, this is all completely premature. The 3DS didn't -flop-, like the article claims. In fact, for pricing it too high as they did, I'd say it did fairly well, as such things go. Now that they've seen that they can't get away with that, and are not only fixing it but more-or-less evening it out for those that bought it at its original price, they're already starting to work towards making it better, yes? Will it be enough to completely make up for their cockiness? Probably not. But it doesn't need to. Again, N64 and GameCube - two consecutive systems - were pretty much trashed by the competition. They stuck to their own ways then, and out came the Wii and DS, and suddenly they're on top of the game again.

The 3DS's first few months are not some world-changing tragedy for the company. Hell, even if the 3DS sales don't ever take off like they'd want, it's not. They've gone through it before. They'll probably go through it again. Radical policy changes would be a knee-jerk reaction to one setback, and you cannot run a company based on knee-jerk reactions to every setback.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Kao
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Kao

TK's right on the money. The 3DS sold great, but just not as great as Nintendo was expecting it to. Reactionary journalism is taking that and then painting it as some enormous system flop with Nintendo on the verge of financial catastrophe. With the price cut, new system color, and some real games on the horizon, the 3DS will get to where it needs to be.

Nintendo is a very principled company, and many of its decisions are rooted in deeply-held company philosophies. I feel that releasing games on another platform, especially one that could potentially threaten its own platforms, would violate these philosophies, and therefore Nintendo will never do that. Even if some shareholders want it, Nintendo will be immovable.
Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

We will see how it turns out, as I said no one can accurately predict the future but based on my observations I don't expect Wii 2 and 3DS to be a runaway success. I hope I'm wrong, because deep down Nintendo is still 'my' company.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 01:26 PM   #14
WaddleDoo.
^ Ninja Gaiden 2 rip-off
Hero

I think Nintendo should just make FPS games

like call of duty

did I say this yet?
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Triforce King
RoboMod Vs Godzilla
Platinum Triforce Legend

Quote:
We will see how it turns out, as I said no one can accurately predict the future but based on my observations I don't expect Wii 2 and 3DS to be a runaway success. I hope I'm wrong, because deep down Nintendo is still 'my' company.
They don't need to be runaway successes, Giz. It's not a best-or-bust market here. Even if they don't dominate the market, will that make them any less 'your' company? Again, losing to Sony and Microsoft for a couple generations, did that make them less 'your' company? Like you say, no one can predict the future. But if there is a storm ahead, they can weather it like they've done before. No cause for alarm.
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Majoraslayer
Global Moderator
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to Majoraslayer Send a message via MSN to Majoraslayer Send a message via Yahoo to Majoraslayer

I think a major part of the problem with 3DS was, coupled with the enormous price tag, there weren't any fantastic games released at launch. Successful systems have had great launch titles; Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Wii had Twilight Princess, N64 had Super Mario 64, etc. If you're looking at a $250 hand-held system at launch and the only games available are games you wouldn't have even bought for a system you already own, the purchase won't logically be justified.

My wife bought me a 3DS at launch for my birthday, but I never even had a game for it until 4 or 5 months later when OoT was released. Had any of the flagship series been released with the console as a new installment (instead of a re-release), I'm sure the 3DS would have been a much greater hit. It seemed to have been pushed for a release too early for the software developers to catch up, and that likely had a huge impact on sales.

Personally, I would hate to see Nintendo develop games for phones. Nintendo should put more of their focus on software rather than hardware, but it should be for the purpose of supporting their own hardware. Wii, for example, had some great potential had it been better utilized. Most of the software focused on the novelty of motion control rather than making it fun. New SMB, Twilight Princess and a few others were fun games, but most games are just clones of the same sports games the console was bundled with. That, or the game is marketed to old people for a chance to exercise and have fun with their grandchildren.

--- --- --- ---
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug. 11, 2011, 04:24 PM   #17
ifm2181
Backpfeifengesicht
Triforce of Courage

Nintendo shan't do it. They make console games for their own consoles.
And if shareholders panic and sell their shares? They will be bought up by people who believe in Nintendo.
Old Aug. 12, 2011, 06:00 AM   #18
Gizmo
Global Moderator
Gold Legend

I don't think people who believe in Nintendo have money to buy shares Only people with money buy shares.
Old Aug. 12, 2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Niroht
h̬̓̉ͧ̔́̚ẻ͊ͪ͊ͯ͌ͥ͡ ̛̜̎̓ͦ͊̈
Triforce of Wisdom

Send a message via Yahoo to Niroht

I can't stand smartphone games honestly. And like TK said, this is a kneejerk reaction. As far as I can tell Nintendo still follows the Japanese business philosophy of running their company in such a way as to ensure that it survives a long time, rather than making all the money right now.
Old Aug. 12, 2011, 11:14 AM   #20
ZaketoX2
The best is yet to come
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to ZaketoX2 Send a message via MSN to ZaketoX2 Send a message via Yahoo to ZaketoX2

Quote:
I don't think people who believe in Nintendo have money to buy shares Only people with money buy shares.
They had enough to buy the 3DS at launch