Go Back   ZeldaPower Forums > General Area > General Chat

Old Feb. 8, 2012, 10:04 AM   #41
ZaketoX2
The best is yet to come
Triforce Legend

Send a message via AIM to ZaketoX2 Send a message via MSN to ZaketoX2 Send a message via Yahoo to ZaketoX2
Default Re: Chronicle

Now if only they could get Thomas Jayne as Punisher again.
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Zugz
Averagely Undead
Gold Legend

man people just can't watch movies anymore

I doubt I'd see Chronicle in theatres just cause I don't go to the movies super often, and my driveanhourtoadecenttheatre movie slots are full of Avengers and Batman and Spiderman and Ghost Rider and all that. But if my friends wanted to see it I'd go, even if it was bad, seeing it with my friends would probably make it hilarious regardless.

Zugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:03 PM   #43
Gatsby
You Better Run
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hugz View Post
man people just can't watch movies anymore

I doubt I'd see Chronicle in theatres just cause I don't go to the movies super often, and my driveanhourtoadecenttheatre movie slots are full of Avengers and Batman and Spiderman and Ghost Rider and all that. But if my friends wanted to see it I'd go, even if it was bad, seeing it with my friends would probably make it hilarious regardless.
Yeah, I'm always surprised by people and their ability to prejudge things for no apparent reason. That can be acceptable for some movies, like the incoming "Three Stooges" reboot, but for a film like Chronicle that's been getting good reviews and is generally well liked?

I think that's just ridiculous. You can say you aren't interested, you can shit on if it you've seen it, but posting some three paragraph diatrabe filled with gross assumptions that are misguided in some cases and dead wrong in others is completely ridiculous. To paraphrase Vonnegut, it's like attacking an ice cream sundae in a full suit of armor.

I think the joy of discovery is one of the best parts about all artistic mediums, but then again, I actually like film.

Last edited by Gatsby; Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:21 PM   #44
Priestess of Farore
BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
Triforce of Wisdom

I guess my main beef is the sheer volume of films that are all kind of starting to blur together for me. What the hell am I supposed to get excited about anymore?
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:31 PM   #45
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Yeah, I'm always surprised by people and their ability to prejudge things for no apparent reason. That can be acceptable for some movies, like the incoming "Three Stooges" reboot, but for a film like Chronicle that's been getting good reviews and is generally well liked?

I think that's just ridiculous. You can say you aren't interested, you can shit on if it you've seen it, but posting some three paragraph diatrabe filled with gross assumptions that are misguided in some cases and dead wrong in others is completely ridiculous. To paraphrase Vonnegut, it's like attacking an ice cream sundae in a full suit of armor.

I think the joy of discovery is one of the best parts about all artistic mediums, but then again, I actually like film.
thatd be a real noble ass opinion to have if film itself wasnt saturated in redundancy. one can easily prejudge a movie, especially when most movies have their entire plot given away in the trailers we see for them anyway

even if everything wasnt so irritatingly exposed in their trailers, there is public demand for a certain kind of show. a fashion of the time. with only a few clues, an inquiring mind can accurately assume many elements about the plot of a movie without having to actually see it

pof's assumptions were neither misguided, dead wrong, or ridiculous. she was commenting on a current trend. you cant look at me with a straight face and say that the same type of movies arent replicated over and over again

so it becomes a matter of odds. what are the odds that chronicle, in this instance, wont be another link in the chain of barely tolerable movies?

probably not well

you can go in the theater with an open mind all you want. i know i am! i really want chronicle to be a good movie. i think the trailer was great and i expect to be entertained. but i can also objectively predict that the movie probably wont be that awesome. if you arent able to make that same prediction, then you arent paying attention to film as well as you think

its a sociological thing. production companies appeal to demographics. if you can name the demographic, you can name what kind of move youre going to see. advertising is a real subtle and insidious art form, one which i respect. youd be surprised how often a person can be played for a fool, when all the information they need is right there in the open

Last edited by Tom; Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:31 PM   #46
Zugz
Averagely Undead
Gold Legend

Has anyone seen The Woman in Black, btw? Is is actually creepy? Cause I'll go if it's creepy.

Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:32 PM   #47
Priestess of Farore
BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
Triforce of Wisdom

I am creeped out by Daniel Radcliffe's GIANT EYEBROWS

Stick to roles with glasses man
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:39 PM   #48
Gatsby
You Better Run
Hero

Plenty of films if you actually paid attention. Every year there are more Sundance level films than I can actually watch.

As 2012 starts I'm already still trying to catch up on movies like "A Seperation", "Martha Marcy May Marlene", "The Artist", "Melancholia", "Take Shelter", "Beginners", "50/50", "Shame", "The Skin I Live In", "Money Ball" and "The Tree of Life".

A Seperation is an Iranian film that's about the current change of culture that's happening in Iran(progres vs. tradition), told through what I hear to be a very touching character drama.

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a thriller about a girl who tries to recover from her experience in a dangerous cult.

The Artist is a black and white silent film that is winning Best Picture nods in this supposed climate of homogenous "all the same" movies that you're talking about.

Melancholia is a sci fi fantasy film that takes a look at depression through externalizing it into an apocalyptic scenario.

Take Shelter is a film that explores mental illness, how it affects a person, and more importantly, how it goes on to affect the loved ones of the afflicted person.

Beginners is a film about how a homosexual man married into a heterosexual relationship and takes a look at how this affected his life through a series of flashbacks.

50/50 is a dramedy about cancer and aims to be realistic in how it portrays the disease and it's affect on a person who's supposed to be the prime of their life, and it critical and audience perception can be believed; it succeeds in being funny and depressing.

Shame is a character study in which Micheal Fassbender offers a fearless performance as a sex addict who struggles to form connections in his life.

The Skin I Live In is a horror film about a plastic surgeon who keeps a woman captive in his mansion.

Money Ball is a sports film that takes the focus away from the standard rote underdog formula and focuses on the statistical aspect of the sport as the main crux of the film.

Tree of Life is a meditation on human existence and where it stands in the history of Earth and the cosmos itself.

This is my short list. If I wanted, I could go on and on, and on. Chronicle itself is a film that's doing new things, yet you'd never know because you dismissed it based on nothing.

I wonder how many people never see Tree of Life and miss out on beautiful imagery because they dismiss it as pretentious trash or so on so forth.

If you spent as much effort in researching what was out there as you did on shitting on films you haven't even seen, you'd be like me, with more amazing films at your disposal than you can ever watch.
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:41 PM   #49
Gatsby
You Better Run
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
thatd be a real noble ass opinion to have if film itself wasnt saturated in redundancy. one can easily prejudge a movie, especially when most movies have their entire plot given away in the trailers we see for them anyway

even if everything wasnt so irritatingly exposed in their trailers, there is public demand for a certain kind of show. a fashion of the time. with only a few clues, an inquiring mind can accurately assume many elements about the plot of a movie without having to actually see it

pof's assumptions were neither misguided, dead wrong, or ridiculous. she was commenting on a current trend. you cant look at me with a straight face and say that the same type of movies arent replicated over and over again

so it becomes a matter of odds. what are the odds that chronicle, in this instance, wont be another link in the chain of barely tolerable movies?

probably not well

you can go in the theater with an open mind all you want. i know i am! i really want chronicle to be a good movie. i think the trailer was great and i expect to be entertained. but i can also objectively predict that the movie probably wont be that awesome. if you arent able to make that same prediction, then you arent paying attention to film as well as you think

its a sociological thing. production companies appeal to demographics. if you can name the demographic, you can name what kind of move youre going to see. advertising is a real subtle and insidious art form, one which i respect. youd be surprised how often a person can be played for a fool, when all the information they need is right there in the open
Trailers can be misleading. Many people expected Drive to be a Fast and Furious esque film based on it's trailer. It was not. Many people expected The Grey to be a film about Liam Neeson fighting wolves. The truth could not have been further.

Meanwhile, some films have great trailers and didn't end up as good movies. Some films have awful trailers and end up being wonderful.

See, the differences between you and I is that I don't watch trailers. I know they spoil plot, so I don't bother with them. You can spend two minutes watching some nonsense shit trailer, or you can spend two minutes reading the opinion of someone you trust.

Doing it in the former fashion is just setting yourself up for being fooled. Judging through trailers is a shallow method of observing film, and the people who do so exclusively basically deserve whatever misinformation is being thrown their way.

Last edited by Gatsby; Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:44 PM   #50
Jessica
Arsenault
Hero

tree of life was boring. the skin i live in was pretty great though

D - O - G - A - R - S
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:44 PM   #51
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

oh my god jesus gatsby i didnt say all movies are bad, i said that anyone with half a brain can predict what kind of movie they are walking into if they pay attention to the tricks the advertisements are playing--tricks both subtle and obvious

i like lots of movies too check it

jumper is an amazing film about a boy trying to reconnect with his estranged mother in a world that seeks his destruction

manos the hands of fate is an indie film about a family terrorized by a secret cult in the middle of the wilderness

waterworld is a masterpiece post apocalyptic movie about the hypothetical next step in man's evolution

little monsters details the life of a lonely young boy and his desperate cries for attention from his family

but who gives a **** it all misses my point so entirely that it has been caught in the moon's orbit only to sling shot around and blow planet earth to a thousand pieces
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:49 PM   #52
Gatsby
You Better Run
Hero

I was responding to PoF's point for first post, yours for the second.

Your current point now is even more nonsensical because instead of judging a trailer, which is basically an assumption of what a film is, you're saying that you can make assumptions about the motivations of the assumptions of a marketing crew that can help you prejudge a product that was actually created before those things even existed.
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 12:53 PM   #53
Zugz
Averagely Undead
Gold Legend

You liked Jumper? I think I was biased in my hate of the actors.

I don't known if many people have seen Brick or not? But I like that one. Even though these movie listings are more people trying to make a point/not a point now, but hey, Brick is good. Also Sunshine. And Mary & Max as recommended by Linko.

Old Feb. 8, 2012, 01:01 PM   #54
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

oh okay my bad

well you still missed my point in that youre wrong. trailers are designed for people to judge them. that is the entire purpose. they dole out key elements that trigger certain responses in the viewer, depending on who the viewer is. you underestimate the people who make them if you think that you arent actually supposed to judge the movie based on the information they give you

with that information in mind, i can see exactly who they are trying to advertise the spiderman movie to: people with no imagination. though that is less because of the trailer and more because i have a functioning human brain that is able to recognize patterns, and i choose not to blind myself willingly in the name of art for no reason other than to

i guess

watch bad movies
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 01:01 PM   #55
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

no zombie i didnt like jumper

hey its me tom remember i was making jokes its joke time
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 01:11 PM   #56
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

i should preface my posts with "taken seriously only at the reader's risk"
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 02:02 PM   #57
Priestess of Farore
BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
Triforce of Wisdom

I don't take practically anything you say seriously

Anyway I lost the thread of this conversation somewhere but I think I was trying to make some kind of connection between the merciless barrage of advertising and the lack of imagination it fosters in the things it's meant to promote. It's not as if I don't try to watch movies at all -- I have my own ways of researching and deciding what movies I want to drop $12, which is roughly my hourly wage, on and I've seen some really great pictures recently, like The Artist and Pina, and there are others I'd still like to see -- but the lack of inventiveness in an already flooded medium that is sort of the last massively appreciated art form is really disheartening.

Anyway, if anyone wants to go see Chronicle and tell me in detail why it's an amazing, unique film that I must absolutely see in theaters, I will totally listen to you and then believe you and go see the movie and probably think it's great too. I was skeptical of Drive and then this exact thing happens. But I also don't have time to watch every movie or read a ton of reviews about them all as I have to sleep and go to work and write a book and read some other books and possibly publish still other books and put together a reading series and get a letterpress shipped to California and learn how to make sushi and buy car insurance and spend time with my friends and possibly even participate in some of that unbelievably life-affirming activism I was getting up to last fall and keep up with homestuck and you get the picture

no pun intended

I'm pretty sure Gatsby is just Jake Englishing this in the worst way
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 02:08 PM   #58
Tom
Triforce of Wisdom

but pof chronicle is a work of ART you should see it yourself
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 03:27 PM   #59
symuun
Ornery Despot
administrator
Platinum Triforce Legend

Guys, I did a module in Film Studies and I've seen some foreign films. One of them was even good. I've watched the first and last scenes of Breathless on YouTube and I know what mise en scene is. So I am totally qualified to join in on this debate, and there's something I want to say.

I have seen a bad film. It was called Rock It! and it was a German knock-off of High School Musical. The characters were one-dimensional, the music grated on the ears, the plot was nonsensical and the moral message was fundamentally flawed on the scale of something like Twilight.

There are mediocre films, and there are bad films. I know little of Chronicle and nothing of the new Spider-Man, but I suspect that neither are probably as utterly terrible as that.

/\Punisher makes awesome banners./\
symuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb. 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #60
Zugz
Averagely Undead
Gold Legend

i mean i have friends who like jumper and i've been in just an argument about that movie before so i was just going off that

Also I like to pretend people are serious sometimes. Keeps the relationship fresh.